Duck lethargic and leaking

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cl0ud, Jun 27, 2016.

1. cl0ud

cl0ud Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    My buff Orpington is 1.3 years and she has recently become ill.
    She stopped laying eggs and is leaking a clear, egg-white like fluid from her vent. I don't feel anything lodged in her, so I don't think she has anything stuck, although last year she did have an issue with that.
    She has also stopped eating. She roots around her pellets like she knows she is supposed to eat, but has no appetite. Out of obligation she follows her sister around the yard, but she falls asleep the second I put her in my lap. Any suggestions on what this is and how I can go about treating it?
    There are no vets near me that know ducks, but there are some feeds stores I could get supplies from.
    Thanks

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Sounds like egg yolk peritonitis - needs a serious antibiotic. Pet Duck, years ago, got vets' help and used Baytril. She needed to tube feed her duck to keep her going, but she got through it.

3. cl0ud

cl0ud Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2014
    Pennsylvania

Thanks, I feel better being able to place a name to it. I may have to go out of state for the vet, the closest one that I know of is in jersey. Hopefully we'll get her there by Wednesday.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

Please keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by