Duck limping - not broken

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jess94, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Jess94

Jess94 New Egg

Nov 5, 2014
    * I just posted this on the "emergency" forum but thought I would try the "ducks" as well.

Hi all! I really need some advice on what to do with one of my 7 month old Pekins.

Short backstory: I am a recently new “mom” of two female Pekins, Alba and Effie; my “white” “melodious talkers” (I think I spent too much time thinking about their names…). My parents had chickens before I was born and we still have them but last spring I decided to add two ducks to the flock. I have enjoyed them immensely and love how different their personalities are. Alba is soooo bossy! I didn’t know a duck could be that bossy; she never fails to let you know if she is upset. Effie is a sweetheart – gentle and pretty quiet (total opposite of her name).

The girls have a decently sized fenced in yard and a small circular pond (3’ deep, 5’ diameter). Two weeks ago I was home for a weeklong recess from my college and decided to give the girls free range around our property. They didn’t wander as much as I feared they would but they did move around a lot more than they usually do.

A few days after I gave them free range Effie started refusing to put weight on her right foot. Both of the girls suffered through moderate bumblefoot a few months ago and had surgery, at the vet’s office, to remove the abscesses. I was concerned it was a break because even when she had bumblefoot she would still walk, she just limped. October 22nd I took her to the vet and he ruled out a dislocation and brake but thought that maybe she was getting an abscess again because he didn’t see or feel anything wrong with it. The vet wrapped her right foot, not seeing any bumblefoot but thinking that if there was one the wrap would help. I moved Effie and Alba into an empty stall in our barn to limit her possible movement and distress Alba and Effie were having when Alba would wander out of Effie’s site.

Last Monday, Oct. 27th, I brought her to the vet again because she seemed really depressed and still wasn’t putting any weight on her foot. He said that the scab had come off but there was nothing there and it was looking a lot better. Friday, Oct. 31st, I brought her to the vet again because she was even more depressed and not eating. The vet gave her some antibiotics/steroids and told me to check back this week.

As of today, November 6th, Effie is still not putting any weight on her foot but will balance herself with her wings and the tip of her toes. She is beginning to lose weight and is pretty “ruffled”. She had been staying in the barn the last two weeks, so we could keep a closer eye on her but I gave her a large tub of water today so she could have a true bath which caused her to perk up a bunch but she’s still not herself.

Over the last two weeks I’ve brought her to the vet three times and yesterday he told me that he could do an X-ray and blood work (~$300.00) but he can’t promise it will find anything and he is sure it isn’t broken. He said he could also do an ultrasound to see if it is a damaged nerve but that will cost more than $1,000.00 and if there some sort of nerve damage it isn’t treatable.

I don’t mind spending some money on the girls because they are my babies but I am a college student and don’t have a lot of extra money lying around. I also don’t want to make Effie suffer if her condition isn’t treatable but I don’t want to prematurely euthanize her. I would be devastated and I can’t bear to think how Alba would handle Effie’s loss.

Whoever reads through this, thank you so much. I don’t know what to do and any advice/thoughts would be wonderful!
    Jess

[​IMG]
    Alba in the tub, Effie not putting weight on her foot (this afternoon)

[​IMG]
    Effie, slightly rumpled, after her bath in the tub (this afternoon)

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    @Jess94 I am reading . . .

Is she laying? This is not straightforward… but being egg bound might cause a pinched nerve… Looking again at her tail. When my runners are having egg system troubles, that is the way they hold their tails.

If it is egg troubles, she may benefit from some extra calcium. I have given calcium gluconate, prescription Neocalglucon, and recently have done some arithmetic and research and am adding calcium citrate - dissolved in water - to my flock's food.

While we try to sort it out, I would be putting Epsom salt compresses on her leg and foot three times a day, and I would be putting a tiny dab of Traumeel on the leg and foot, once, at night before bedtime.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I have asked Amiga to look at your posts...both here and in the Emergencies etc forum... hoping she or anyone here with experience can help you out...

1 person likes this.
  4. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

I would put Epsom salt on her leg, too. I have never had quite this problem but that helps when one of my ducks are limping.

2 people like this.
  5. Jess94

Jess94 New Egg

Nov 5, 2014
    Thank you everyone for responding, I'm really worried about her.

Amiga, forgive my ignorance, but is there anyway specific way to tell if she is egg bound? They both lay in the same "nest" and we haven't been collecting eggs regularly with Eff being on antibiotics so I don't know if there is a fewer number than normal... Also can calcium gluconate be bought at a livestock food store?

Again, thank you all so much!!

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Sometimes you can very very gently feel her tummy and feel an egg. But if it has a soft shell you may not be able to feel it.

Calcium gluconate is sold for cows in a liquid form at feed stores. But you can buy calcium citrate at places that sell supplements.

Time floating in a lukewarm tub of water may help relax the muscles. It would be good to do in any case.

Has she been straining, looking like she's trying to pass something? I do think tub time is in order.

I need to rest now. Will check back tomorrow, Lord willing.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. Jess94

Jess94 New Egg

Nov 5, 2014
    @Amiga I haven't noticed her straining but to be honest I haven't been looking for that... I will watch her closely tomorrow and give her a warm bath. Have a good night and thank you again for your advice!!

BTW I am really glad I found this forum and this community of poultry lovers! [​IMG]

8. Quacker13

Quacker13 New Egg

Sep 16, 2014
    My pekin Daisy has limped ever since she was a baby. As a duckling she was mobile and able to keep up with her brothers and sisters roaming around the backyard. As she got older though she slowed down. Her limp got worse and now she spends most of her time laying in the center of the yard being the lookout for her friends. She eats well and lays eggs so other than her limp appears to be very healthy. I figured since she has limped since she was one day old, maybe it's just a birth defect due to their genetics to grow very large very quickly?

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by