Duck lost his mate now living with chickens

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by berryed, Jun 23, 2016.

1. berryed

berryed New Egg

Jun 23, 2016
    United Kingdom
    This is my first post, so not sure if what I'm asking is a silly question or not, we had a pair of Indian runner ducks, the lady duck got attacked by a fox through the bars of the coop, the fox couldn't get inside the actual coop so took its chances and grabbed her through the mesh while she slept, as the ducks slept outside :( very severely that we had to have her put to sleep at the vets, the same night the male duck started to follow the chickens and ended up follwing them into their coop to sleep at night, I was going to get another duck as a mate for him but he seems to have made himself quite comfy as one of the chickens, and I'm more than happy for him to be safe inside the locked up coop. Do I get another duck and risk him starting to sleep outside with it or will he be happy enough with the chickens? He's formed quote a close bond to one of our new ex battery hens and they sleep together in one of the nesting boxes. I don't want to ruin that relationship but I'm unsure as to weather he needs another duck with him. Sorry for the long post! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Tough decision here. You should get another female for him. Make sure they are introduced slowly, though. In breeding season, drakes can get very hormonal so if he has no companion duck hens, he might try to rape your hens.
    Your ducks could also move in with the chickens. A lot of people house their poultry together. :)

3. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

He could start to try and mate her? Ducks can kill chickens.
    Get him another mate and fix the duck pen so it can not happen again...thats what I would do.

4. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    I know they can kill chickens. Calm down! I was putting it mildly.

5. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

okay....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by