Duck Mating Behavior? What to expect next?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckFrenzy247, Jun 24, 2019.

1. DuckFrenzy247

DuckFrenzy247 In the Brooder

Jun 24, 2019
    Hey Y’all,
    So quick intro. First time duck and chicken owner this year! And I’ve been using BYC for all of my questions but this is my first post!

So I have a Pekin, which I believe to be a duck (loud and constant quacking) and I think a Khaki Campbell drake but not sure on breed (assuming drake because of more hissy quack).

They have been bobbing heads at each other recently(last 2 day) and the Pekin(Dirk) has been letting the Khaki Campbell(Harley) grab her neck feather. This morning he was on top of her but sideways haha.

No eggs yet, but what should I expect in the near future? And yes I named them backward haha.

upload_2019-6-24_10-58-23.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. quackiemama

quackiemama Crowing

Dec 26, 2018
    MARYLAND
    :welcome
    How old are they? They are beautiful btw!

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Aren’t they funny. :welcome Once he gets they hang of it a pool would be a good idea water always makes it easier for mating, having a smaller drake instead of opposite shoulder make it easier on you Pekin too. She should start to lay eggs anywhere from 2-3 weeks after mating begins or that’s how it has been here. Give her nice bedding and hopefully she’ll lay in their house. Beautiful ducks..

quackiemama likes this.
  4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Well you will experience a lot of what you just saw. The Drake is becoming mature and hormones are high.

5. DuckFrenzy247

Jun 24, 2019
    Thank you! They are about 2 and a half months. My chickens are a bit younger but growing much slower.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  6. DuckFrenzy247

Jun 24, 2019
    Th
    Thank you! I use pine flakes inside the coop and they have artificial grass for the run(easy to keep clean). Well... easier that is haha. The black water trough is their pool but I’m going to upgrade them to either a 2(h)x3(w)x8(l) or a 2x2x6 I haven’t decided yet... should I get an incubator as well idk if I want more ducks or eggs to bake with haha.

Miss Lydia and quackiemama like this.
  7. Miss Lydia

If your not sure you want more ducks just take her eggs up everyday give them away or if you have dogs? They are great for baking too.

quackiemama likes this.
  8. DuckFrenzy247

Jun 24, 2019
    I’ll probably take her eggs up then! I wouldn’t mind maybe 2-3 more ducks because I really love my ducks haha. Also my poor Girl has a patch of feathers gone on the base of her neck from where the drake has been getting at her..

9. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Baldness on the neck is normal if you have a Drake..

DuckFrenzy247 likes this.
  10. Miss Lydia

Feathers missing but down to skin means she needs a break especially is she is trying to get away. If there aren’t any more feathers next will be skin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: