Duck Mating

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by P3JF, Dec 5, 2013.

1. P3JF

P3JF Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2013
    Florida
    My ducks (peking ducks) are about 5 months old and are ready to mate, but every time my female duck gives the hint to my male duck he does mating wrong. he hops on her back but his but is towards her face and his ace is towards her behind and he tends to just pick at her then she just quacks really loud and he hops off. What does this mean?? Is there something wrong with my male duck?? I know the correct way for ducks to mate is that the male bites the females neck to hold on. so clearly my male duck is Doing it backwards. why? They only do this in their kiddie pool too. They don't try to mate outside of the pool, not that I know of.

2. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    ? My guess is he just simply isn't ready yet.

3. A R Farms

A R Farms New Egg

Dec 2, 2013
    We raised pecking ducks for about 2 years and our was always either in their pool or on the pond when they mated and sometimes when we had a male duck that didnt know what to do we always put another male duck in with him to get him I guess you could say "jealous" and then took him back out and that always worked for us its worth a try I guess

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Sometimes it takes a while, but from anything I have heard the drakes figure it out. If you are in a northern area, we are getting into winter, so if the hormones aren't ramped up, not much may happen.

5. P3JF

P3JF Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2013
    Florida

well I'm in Florida so it's probably about 75-78 degrees during the day and about 62-67 at night and the morning. He also is a tad bit over weight. Ha. But im working on a feeding schedule now. thanks for the help!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Then give him a little while. I have heard of drakes going at it backwards at first, or falling off . . . .

7. P3JF

P3JF Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2013
    Florida
    ok thanks, him being overweight shouldn't affect anything right? Also my femal duck bobs her head to her side a lot really fast is that just a mating call?

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I think it means "I think you are great" in duck talk. My girls do it to each other, and even to me. It is like saying they are a fan.

The straight up and down bobbing is the "hey, come over here, sexy" message.

9. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Agreed, those different head bobs do have diff meanings. My 2yr old Rouens are the only ones bobbing at all here now.

10. P3JF

P3JF Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2013
    Florida
    Oh okay, that's neat! thank you all for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by