Duck Maturity Question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by FortCluck, Dec 3, 2019.

1. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    We will be moving our ducks in January before the springtime starts and they will not have access to our chickens.

Right now our ducks are with our chickens while we are building their enclosure... Pickles is our jumbo Pekin and she trying to mate with our rooster Squatch:thWe have a Drake that is a white layer (Quackers), but I don't think he is at the age where he is making advances at the ducks.

When do drake's start making advances?

Quackers is 3 months old, but shows zero interest in Cheese or Pickles.

Pickles will walk up to 'Squatch and start bobbing her head up and down... Then she puts her head on the ground. Squatch looks at her completely confused and just walks away.

2. johntfs

johntfs Chirping

Dec 1, 2019
    Jackson, Tennessee
    Just Googling it, male and female ducks become sexually mature at about the same time. Depending on the breed, females start laying eggs between 4 and 7 months old. So Quackers might still be a little young to make advances. Maybe in another month or two. Also, it's getting into late fall heading into winter. It could that the light and temperature is "slowing his roll." Figure by Spring he'll be "up and at 'em."

Suedan, DiYMama540 and FortCluck like this.
  3. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    It's cracking me up that my duck is trying to get Squatch to mate and he looks at her like she has 20 heads.

DuckyDonna and DiYMama540 like this.
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Mary Did You Know....

My Runner was laying flat for our female goose she was so wanting to mate with someone anyone and my 3 drakes didn’t want anything to do with her. Now that she’s 7 months old she seems to be more settled but boy there for a few months she was sex crazed :p

5. DiYMama540

DiYMama540 Free Ranging

Jun 25, 2019
    SW VA
    My Coop
    I'm surprised to hear your drake isn't paying any attention to her...mine started practicing at around 3 months. Didn't take them long to get the hang of it :rolleyes:

Suedan, DuckyDonna and Miss Lydia like this.
  6. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    He hangs out with her, but he doesn't mate with her. The rooster looks at her like she's crazy! She does it constantly and he just walks away.

7. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    Pickles is like that, but with Squatch. I thought something was wrong with her until I realized it's normal for them to bob their head.

DuckyDonna, DiYMama540 and Miss Lydia like this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Aren’t they funny. Finally my 2 girls had fun with each other :lol: 4763C3E0-95A5-4886-A25B-FFE283AB87CB.jpeg

9. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    I call Pickles a weirdo and tell her that he's a chicken

DiYMama540 and Miss Lydia like this.
  10. Miss Lydia

:lol: Funny thing is they don’t care!!

Duckfarmer1, DiYMama540 and FortCluck like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: