Duck missing from nest "help" update 5-22

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by scgamecock, May 15, 2008.

1. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    There is a pond next to my father inlaw's business that has wild Mallard Ducks in it and there is a hen that has laid a nest of egg's up against the building.She has not started sitting on them yet but she has been missing for several days and my question is should i get the egg's and try to incubate them.I've never tried Ducks before and I really don't want to keep them but I would release them back at the pond when they are large enough.Should I try and how long would I have to keep them before they could be released?Help me out!!

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  2. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    If she has gone missing for that long then I doubt she will be back. So it really is up to you if you want to incubate them or not. If it were me I would. You would need to keep the babies until they are a good 3-4 months old (fully feathered) and you would have to keep human contact to a bare minimum if you want the to be wild. Ducks are natural foragers so that's not really an issue. And if there are other ducks around at the time when you decide to release them there will be some squabble but they would learn what to do.

Me, I'd give it a go....just make sure you won't get in trouble for it [​IMG]

3. scgamecock

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    It's just a retention pond for the buildings around there.The ducks are wild but 'tame' if you know what I mean.I just thought I could try my hand at hatching ducks and also give the little fellows a chance.

4. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    snatch them up!

grammers, grammers, grammers

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2008
  5. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    I agree get em .I have been trying to find 1-2 more to go with the one "rock"i have hatching next week

6. scgamecock

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    I think I'm going to get them and try to hatch em.I keep everyone posted on what happens.

7. scgamecock

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    There are 8 egg's and they will be here in a few minutes.Is the temps and humidity the same as for chicken's?

8. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    Temps are the same, humidity should run about 65-70%. Stop turning on day 26 and they should hatch day 27-29

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  9. scgamecock

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    Thanks for the info.

10. scgamecock

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    I just candled the eggs and all 6 have spider veins. [​IMG]
    I should have waited another day or so but even though the eggs are green they are so easy to see thru.Almost like a white chicken egg.I didn't know how long they had been laid but I guess they are fine.I'll keep everyone posted on this adventure.I'm so excited!! I may have a hard time letting them go. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by