Duck mites? Injury? Help me diagnose my duck!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Raychul, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Raychul

Raychul New Egg

Dec 31, 2010
    A couple weeks ago, we were letting our Indian Runner ducks out of their box in the morning, and we noticed a bloody scratch on our dear Biscuit's neck. I suspected an injury from a rat, perhaps? We cleaned her up, let her take a clean bath, and put Neosporin on the wound. She would NOT stop scratching at it! We continued this for some days--cleaning, neosporin, and then she would just make herself a bloody mess. So we modified a tiny little dog cone (boy is THAT a sight!). The wound has healed, but she is still trying to scratch. Her feathers are all mussed up and coming out (just in that one small patch by her neck/face where she was injured). The wound itself appears to be healing, but she just won't stop scratching. We've put mite powder on her but it hasn't helped much.

Any thoughts as to what could be going on? How can we get her to stop scratching? Do you have experience with duck mites and getting rid of them? Should she be quarantined? She's about 3 years old now.

Thank you!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    From reading in Storey's Guide, mites are tan, and with a very close look, visible.

That doesn't mean there isn't something there, just want to explain why I am wondering...

Have you put any antibacterial, anti fungal, any kind of healing balm on the wound?

3. Raychul

Raychul New Egg

Dec 31, 2010
    we have put a tiny bit of hydrocortizone and calendula cream, as well as neosporin. We haven't been able to see any mites. Do you recommend an antifungal?

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    In a perfect world, we could get the little to a vet with a good lab. Just had to get that off my chest.

Can you trim just a few feathers from one side of the wound and look at the skin?

Could it be dermatitis? Is she coming into contact with something irritating? Is there a drake after her, aggravating the wound?

I am going to fall back on something I often recommend. Epsom salt solution on a clean cloth. Dab her neck wound with that a few times a day. She may have scratched herself incidentally and the healing process may itch, causing her to scratch, etc. Epsom salt is a fairly benign (it is a laxative when ingested, don't let her get any in her mouth) mineral and has a bunch of benefits.

5. Raychul

Raychul New Egg

Dec 31, 2010
    Thank you so much Amiga! We will try the Epsom salt and I will discuss taking her to the vet with my partner. We are a small urban farm, we only have three ducks, and we have been watching them closely. No one is bothering her. She is missing feathers...it's all just on her neck and face area. We guessed that it was a rat bite, we renovated their box so there is no possibility of a rat getting in again. The wound itself is healing, but she scratches and scratches and re-opens it...hence the cone. I'm not sure if she's just itchy in the surrounding area or if she has bad aim or what's going on.

Thank you so much for your help!

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have observed that my ducks can get emotional, she may be traumatized if it was a rodent attack. Do you have any Bach's rescue remedy?

I have a bit of a suburban agrarian place, myself - we could chat some time. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by