Duck mites?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by xcrazyduckladyx, Jun 15, 2016.

1. xcrazyduckladyx

xcrazyduckladyx New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    Right now our ducks are living indoors and I noticed small brownish red and white mites or lice. What kind of medicine do I need to treat them? Do I need to see the vet? The ducks appear fine, and their feathers look ok. But two of them have feathers around their heads slightly ruffled looking, and I don't know if it's mites or them playing in water

2. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I've never had to treat for mites so I don't know what medicines to use but I would be careful giving any mite medication to ducklings. How old are they? If it were me I would start with sprinkling them with diatomaceous earth (food grade not the kind for pools). But maybe someone who has dealt with this issue will come along with a solution that worked for them and was okay for ducklings.

Int he mean time... Have you given them access to deep swimming water? I mean water they can dive in. That should get rid of a good amount of the mites. Also, you need to completely clean out the brooder. All the bedding needs to be trashed and the brooder needs to be cleaned. If you have bleach, a mild bleach solution can be used. If you don't like those types of cleaners a strait vinegar wash will kill any little critters.

Hope your little ones get better.

3. xcrazyduckladyx

xcrazyduckladyx New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    Thanks; they're about 2 -3 months now. I have a plastic pool for them, and I'm going to be cleaning the entire area this week.

4. lomine

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Any reason you have them inside? At that age they should be fully feathered and okay to go outside without heat.

5. xcrazyduckladyx

xcrazyduckladyx New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    I've working on building a pen for them. We have a lot of predators. For now they're house ducks; I'm hoping they'll like it outside.

6. lomine

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Oh I see. It's good you're making sure they are safe before putting them out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by