Duck Mommy Here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MapleKehDucks, Jun 11, 2019.

1. MapleKehDucks

MapleKehDucks In the Brooder

Jun 11, 2019
    Texas
    Hello everyone!

I have never actually had chickens before, but I helped my mother-in-law slash neighbor with her Rhode Island Reds for years. I love the personalities you can get and the fresh eggs are always a bonus!

I am a mom of 4 little ones, and we live in a rural country area in Texas. I wanted my kids to have exposure to caring for animals and yet not have a full-blown farm to have to juggle. I did my research, and I actually found myself steered towards DUCKS. We have a stock tank that we built and once I found out how beneficial ducks could be to helping maintain our tank, AND the kids having animals to care for AND fresh eggs... well, I was sold on the idea.

Last year we got 2 Pekin ducks, 1 Rouen duck, 1 Cayuga duck, and 1 Cayuga Drake. We received them all at 3 days old, and I raised them to adult-hood.

They are free-range ducks, and I feed them once at night before returning them to the coop. They eat the bugs in my yard, and around the stock tank and nap by the water throughout the day. Our water is far enough from our house that I never have any trouble with ducks pooping on the porch. They get let out at 8am, and get put up every day at 7:30pm. They will come up towards the house at 7pm to say "Hey Mom! We're ready for dinner!" If I know I won't be home for "dinner time" and need to put the ducks up early, I just call them home. I trained my ducks to answer to my call, so they always know to come when they're called. Yes, they really do listen. Even from 8 acres away!

My ducks are all friendly. They don't particularly like being held, but they will eat from your hand and they will nuzzle my legs when I'm taking care of them.

When I'm not loving on my duckies, I am a SAHM (stay-at-home-mom) and I homeschool my kiddos. Having animals at home is a great teaching tool! I also do child photography and am very involved with different ministries at my church.

I found BackYardChickens when I was doing my initial research about Chickens & Ducks. I found the forums, and articles VERY helpful, and after I started my ducky adventures I kept finding myself popping back in. Everything I was Googling kept leading me back here. So HERE I AM officially :D and I'm sure I'll be posting SOMETHING about my precious duckies :love

2. Brahmachicken240

Brahmachicken240 Crossing the Road

Dec 26, 2018
    Ireland
    Welcome to backyard chickens :frow:welcome
    7FD1EAEE-27D5-41C9-ADA0-2DBC76FDF16C.jpeg

3. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    Please feel free to share some pictures!

4. MapleKehDucks

MapleKehDucks In the Brooder

Jun 11, 2019
    Texas
  5. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here.

This is a useful link of “How to” BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3. I’d suggest including your location using the guide in the link above. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

6. NonnasBabies

NonnasBabies Muddy Acre Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Welcome :frow

7. Leahs Coop

Leahs Coop Free Ranging

Nov 5, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hello,:frow and a warm welcome to Backyard Chickens! It's great to have here with us! I would love to see some pictures of your ducks :love

8. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

Hello, and welcome! Glad that you joined! Good luck with your duck flock!

9. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Welcome to our FUN-omenal community! :celebrate Best wishes and have Lots of FUN! :wee

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - great introduction.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: