duck near me was attacked

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Billcat123, May 6, 2017.

1. Billcat123

Billcat123 New Egg

May 2, 2017
    I made a post a few days back asking about a wild duck living in my bush, and today my fears came true. A cat attacked the duck, and broke one of the eggs. I yelled from inside for the cat to "Get" and it left. The mama duck (A mallard, I believe) walked around for a bit and then sat back down on the nest.

Is there anything I can do or put down to keep cats out of the duck's area? I never had a big problem with predators in my area, besides some stray cats, but now there have been a lot of different animals around. I don't intend to do anything like relocate the ducks, as I don't think touching them is legal, but I'm just trying to find some sort of spice or spay I can place down that will not hurt the ducks but will scare away any cats or muskrats.

2. KingOfTheCoop02

KingOfTheCoop02 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2017
    Ireland
    Call animal control on the cats

3. Woytgirl

Woytgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2017
    Somewhere in the USA
    X2

4. Woytgirl

Apr 24, 2017
    Somewhere in the USA
    I hope the ducks ok, but I agree with chickens really that sometimes wild animals are tougher than you think. If you see her limping or blood, I would call a bird sanctuary or animal control to help.

5. Woytgirl

Apr 24, 2017
    Somewhere in the USA
    @chickensreally responded to your other thread, and I was quoting what she said over there on here.

6. Billcat123

Billcat123 New Egg

May 2, 2017
    The duck was attacked again last night, and it got another egg! We tried reaching out to animal control but they said they cannot do much, and that we should call them when it happens. However, the response time would be about 15 minutes, and the cat will run away after about 2. We are looking for any solutions at this point, as we don't want these wild ducks hurt!

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

No much you can do...You will have to let nature take its course....Buy Cat traps and catch the cats that way?...

1 person likes this.
  8. Woytgirl

Apr 24, 2017
    Somewhere in the USA
    You can spread coyote pee along the edges of your yard. It makes the cats go away. It might make coyotes come if you have them in your area though.

9. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Good thought...:)....Yes, it would attract the Coyotes in if any in the area..:(....

Cheers!

10. Woytgirl

Apr 24, 2017
    Somewhere in the USA
    Thx .actually saw the idea on a diff thread.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by