Duck Neck Injury - Please Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ecse129, May 4, 2011.

1. ecse129

ecse129 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    I have three or four baby ducklings that now have neck injuries it seems. It looks like a scrape but also seems swollen on that side. It seems to be all the right side for all of them. Did they scrape their necks on their feeder? Or do they have some sort of disease?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ecse129

Mar 30, 2011
    Forgot to add that they are almost 2 weeks old. They are wet in the pictures and I put on some antibiotic ointment so that is matting it down even more.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    are all of them having this issue? if there is one that isn't then it might be doing this to the others, what are you feeding them? what breed?

4. ecse129

Mar 30, 2011
    I think that one of them was the culprit. They were eating chick starter food with electrolytes/vitamin pack added to their water. Just today I switched them to gamebird feed. It was three out of 9 that had it and two of them are also just getting over eye injuries I think. I noticed one of them pecking at one of the neck injuries today a few times I stopped him and he went right back to doing it. So I think he was the culprit of it all. I have him in a separate brooder with a friend right now that is one of the larger ducklings. I will monitor that one and make sure he doesn't get injured too. There wasn't room to put him in just a separate area as they are in our classroom brooder. They are going to their new farm homes tomorrow or Friday so I am hoping the three injured will get a good start on healing before I send them home. I have been doing triple antibiotic ointment so hopefully that helps.

5. ecse129

Mar 30, 2011
    Oh forgot to add, they are mostly pekin with a little bit of runner and magpie mixed in.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    thats good medicine and should help them heal with out any problems. Some times the bigger ones will pick on the younger, just like in all animals I guess, glad to caught the little rascal. hope it appreciates it buddy and doesn't do it to it.. hope they all have a wonderful life in their new home.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by