duck needs girlfriend

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by coopdeville08, Aug 4, 2010.

1. coopdeville08

coopdeville08 In the Brooder

Jul 28, 2008
    arlington WA
    We have a muscovy male who needs a friend to keep him away from our chickens. Does anyone have an idea about which breed would suit him??

2. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Songster

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Ummm...maybe another 'Scovy? [​IMG]
    That's probably the best bet, and you could have cute little Muscovy ducklings...[​IMG]

A large breed, to be sure. Those Muscovy males are HUGE, so I don't think you'd want to give him a petite Runner gal - he'd tear her to shreds!

So, lets see....largest mallard-derived breeds are the Silver Appleyard, Saxony, and Pekin? Maybe the Ancona too...I'm not sure how big they get. If you wanted to breed them though, with any of those breeds, the resulting ducklings would be mules, so they couldn't "carry on the legacy" in a subsequent generation...maybe that's not an issue for you - just a thought! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2010
  3. coopdeville08

coopdeville08 In the Brooder

Jul 28, 2008
    arlington WA
    thank you for the info. We may be able to get a kahki campbell. Are they also a large breed?

4. my khakis are smallish, my swedes are bigger, about the same size as my pekin... what about a Jumbo Pekin?

5. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Songster

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Quote:No, Khaki's are in the Light weight class (from smallest to largest breeds, they're classified into the Bantam, Light, Medium, or Heavy weight class). They only get 4 to 5 pounds. A female Muscovy gets to be about 7, and a male Muscovy averages 12 (although I've heard that they can get up to 20 pounds!) It could work - a Campbell and a Muscovy, that is. I dunno - it just depends on how sexually aggressive your drake is.

I did think of another large breed that slipped my mind earlier - the Rouen. They look like large Mallards, and are pretty common. I think they get to be 8-10 pounds.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by