Duck Nest Boxes and Coop ideas

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by FlightsofFancy, Apr 21, 2008.

1. FlightsofFancy

FlightsofFancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Canton, GA
    I just got my first ever Blue Swede Ducks. They are adults already laying. (Thanks Helmstead!!! You Rock!)
    I just need some ideas for their housing and nest boxes. Any other info would be greatly appreciated!!
    [​IMG]

2. championny

championny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    For mine, I build a 2x4 fram about 4'x5' (oh, about 3' high) and sided it with some left over decking planks. Then I used plywood for the roof and created a gable on each end. I had all the materials and they love it even though my friend says it look like an old farm tenement! [​IMG]

I didn't build them any nest boxes, but I have placed extra chips at the end so they have a place to create their own. I will see if I can get a pic.

3. chickachickawhat

chickachickawhat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    hartford county ct
    m wondering the same thing maybe you guys can post some pics

4. championny

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    Ok, give me about 15 minutes and let me see if i can get some and post them.

5. championny

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    It's sunny right now, so the pics are a little bright. As you can see from one side, I made a cutting error and the roof top is a bit off kilter, but its does the job and keeps the raccoons out. When I first built it, I had a screened gable. One night a raccoon ripped the screen and stole my female Pekin. That vicious critter pulled her out of the house and dragged her off. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. FlightsofFancy

FlightsofFancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Canton, GA
    Excellent! Keep 'em coming....DH has some work to do!![​IMG]

7. S n M Poultry

S n M Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Riverside,CA
    Thats a really nice coop. Does it have a pond in the run for them?

8. championny

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    I actually have a small pool. Currently it is one of those small one ring pools. I bought it at Wal-Mart thinking it looked as big as the picture showed, but when I finally blew it up, I was sadly mistaken. Nonetheless, they love to just sit in it to preen, sleep and play. I am working on getting that $8.47 pool that's plastic and they can actually kick their feet in and swim.

It's two at the moment, but Peepers my newest (and hopefully a girl Pekin) is going on a little over a month old, and will be joining them soon.

You know, I was just thinking, I forgot about those blocks on the side of their house. The Elephant Ear is so big, it covers it! [​IMG]

9. S n M Poultry

S n M Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Riverside,CA
    Thats a really nice little coop. I used to have ducks and i had one of those plastic blue kiddie pools for them. Im about to set alot of duck eggs in my bator so im trying to veiw my options on housing for them.

10. championny

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    I always wing my designs and building plans. This one I built out of my head, and my chicken house I found a plan online, but altered it a bit to fit my needs. I think to build this one from lumber bought, I would use 2x4's, 4'x8' plywood, hinges and a latch. Could do it for under $75 or so.

I may also shingle the roof and build a rear hatch for egg collection, which I didn't do yet. Same on my chicken house as I am gabling the roof instead of the slant to the rear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by