duck nest question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by maxxsmommy, Sep 12, 2011.

1. maxxsmommy

maxxsmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    Minnesota
    do you have to build a nesting box for a duck? i just built my 4 chicken hens boxes, but i do have one female duck and 2 male ducks and i was wondering if they will just lay on the ground or do you build them a box?

2. maxxsmommy

Aug 24, 2011
    Minnesota
    anyone? sorry just wondering about this

3. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:They will lay where they want to. Which means it may not be in a nest dox. I use a golf ball to encourage them to lay in a certian area. You might be able to get them to lay in a nest box.

4. Eroc1_1

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:BTW, you may have to re-home a drake. 2 males to 1 female isn't a good ratio at all. You will have a beat-up duck at the VERY least - turf wars.

5. maxxsmommy

Aug 24, 2011
    Minnesota
    they were raised together since they were born, and i watch them pretty much all day and they dont fight and they get along great, so i am hoping i dont have to rehome any. they are around 20 weeks old now and still no fighting.. Good sign?? [​IMG]

6. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Quote:It's not the fighting you'll have issues with. Your poor lone girl will be waaaaaay overbred with two boys competing for her. The best all around ratio is 4 girls for each drake, the each additional drake will cause the others to breed more than they normally would. Instead of rehoming, why not add a few more girls? [​IMG]

ETA: nest boxes for ducks are just like for chickens. You can use just about anything but the more "ducky" you make it the more likely your girl will use it. My girls sleep in the nest boxes at night so they get pretty poopy, I just toss on more straw for a month or so until I need to start over with new. A golf ball or two will encourage them to lay there, but I find any egg decoys I put in the box get rolled out of the nest and across the duck barn - LOL!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  7. Eroc1_1

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:It's not the fighting you'll have issues with. Your poor lone girl will be waaaaaay overbred with two boys competing for her. The best all around ratio is 4 girls for each drake, the each additional drake will cause the others to breed more than they normally would. Instead of rehoming, why not add a few more girls? [​IMG]

That is what I was referring to. More girls or one less drake.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by