Duck nest site

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by crazyh717, Sep 15, 2016.

1. crazyh717

crazyh717 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2016
    Carlsbad nm
    [​IMG]
    Under Neath the dirt under my kids baby slide my duck made a new nest, she has three buried after she was forced to abandon her old nesting site because of my kids, but they have learned not to do it anymore.
    I was wondering is it an ok place, the slide won't be moved and right by it is my new bushes their pool is also right next to it as well as their feed,
    She unhurried them in the morning lays another egg then a little later when she wants to go look around the house she buries them again. Which I believe is good.
    I'm hoping these ones survived. I had a few incubated but while they were around day 9 and growing, mold started growing inside the eggs. So I will not try to incubate anymore and let her do her own thing.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Is the nest site safe from all predators?

3. crazyh717

Aug 30, 2016
    Carlsbad nm
    Yes except for humans, our dog knows not to go near it.

4. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop

I'm not sure that qualifies as safe, or all predators. Is the nest completely fenced in? All 6 sides?

5. crazyh717

Aug 30, 2016
    Carlsbad nm
    Well it's in our yard, which is fenced in. The back is covered, I have set up a fence on the sides, and the front of it has a small opening on each side of the little slide.
    She has now laid 8 eggs there, buries them in the afternoon then unburies them in the morning.
    My husband has and does want to make another actual fenced in section around the area of the nest once she starts to sit.
    Other than that I'm not sure what else I can do to help make it safer for her and at the same time., Not have her abandon the nest

6. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    The rule I use is that if a squirrel could get in, then it's not secure. Some folks use those plastic dog kennels that have top and bottom halves. If you just take the top half and put that over the nest, you make for a moderately secure nesting site, and then you just need to come up with a solution for the door portion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by