Duck nesting box

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kmlj9491, Feb 7, 2014.

1. kmlj9491

kmlj9491 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2014
    Hey guys I'm new here and I recently recieved a free, one year old pekin duck. I plan on purchasing some more within the next week or two. This saturday and sunday I'll be building a coop and run on the back side of my shed. Just wondering if their nesting boxes should be off the ground with a walk way up to the boxes like chickens or do they like to nest closer to the ground instead? Thanks in advance! And any advice would be greatly appreciated

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They prefer nesting on the floor so just give them a bit of privacy and plenty of soft bedding they will do the rest. and congrats on your new duck and the ones to come, be sure to post pics when you can.

3. denise91

denise91 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2013
    Congratulations on your new duck! My ducks just plop their eggs right on the ground. Once I even found an egg in a puddle. Just give them some nice bedding to lay in and they should be fine.

4. kmlj9491

kmlj9491 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2014
    Here's a couple pics. This was the first day we got her. She's living in a dog kernel at the moment in a spare bedroom. We have shavings in it now. The next pic is her in the bath tub lol. She's a little spoiled already[​IMG][​IMG]

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I use something similar to the drawing below; actually, Miss Lydia recommended it to me. The fronts on mine are lower than this depiction, but if you found one like this you could probably saw the front lower - or even use a sturdy plastic bin & cut one side down. It really only needs to be a few inches to hold the shavings in. My ducks used it right away, and the eggs tend to be a bit cleaner than they are when they lay them in the run. [​IMG] I just set this right on the floor of their coop, in the corner, with plenty of shavings in it.

[​IMG]

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Well looks who's here, [​IMG]

7. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    [​IMG] Mine lay their eggs in the coop, in which I have floor lined with a mix of peat moss and shavings. I once had dividers but they lay anywhere they feel like so I took them out. Sometimes I have a late layer and find eggs most anywhere, including on the bottom of the pond. Best of luck with your coop. Make sure you make it large enough, 4+ SF per bird for Pekin sized ducks for overnighting.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Yes I use those bins from Lowes they are blk, my chickens like them especially since most of my hens are LF and occasionally I will find a duck in one but Most of my ducks lay in their stall in the shaving and I use deep litter so I have to go in daily with the pitch fork and gently lift the shaving around to find those eggs they are so good at hiding them.

9. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    My ducks like to just lay on the floor... i have not found a big desire for an actual nest box. Then again, mine are mainly scovies.. so they will lay just about anywhere, the horse barn, the cats box, under the lid of a truck, woodpile... [​IMG]

10. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    aw, so cute! dog looks confused lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by