duck newbie questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Keene's coop, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Keene's coop

Keene's coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    neenah, wisconsin
    i have 4 chickens in a coop large enough for 6, maybe 7 chickens.i want a duck, but live in the city. my questions:

1. can 1 duck live with 4 chickens with no problems
    2. what kind of ducks are good with chickens
    3. what kind of ducks are pretty quiet for city living
    4. can a duck live in confinement with "possible" letting out of confinement
    5. can a duck survive in wisconsin winters without a heat source (my husband won't let me heat the coop)

and any other info i can't think of would be greatly appreciated.

2. Keene's coop

Feb 8, 2010
    neenah, wisconsin
    and one more question

are they messier than chickens

3. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    Keene's coop :

i have 4 chickens in a coop large enough for 6, maybe 7 chickens.i want a duck, but live in the city. my questions:

5. can a duck survive in wisconsin winters without a heat source (my husband won't let me heat the coop)

1. yes, but I would suggest 2 ducks
    2. we have 2 crested somethings?? and 2 calls with our chickens
    3. none in my opinion... they are loud
    4. mine sleep in the coop at night and are in the fenced yard during the day with a kiddie pool...
    5. I live in Tennessee... can't help on that one
    6. are they messy? OMG YES, YES, YES... 10x more than chickens... but I love them anyway

Editing 3. I don't mean that to say none for city living... just that they are not quiet [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  4. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    -two of my ducks lived with six chickens for quite a while, no problems.
    -From what I know of, most ducks are good with chickens but if you have a large breed drake with out a female duck, he may try mount your hens and can hurt them. Also small breed ducks can get mounted by roos.
    -Muscovies are the quietest duck you can get. They have great personalities and are very time and docile. Mine that I had with my chickens were muscovy girl + boy.
    -If you mean a coop and /or pen, they can be locked away yes and most people have them cooped up. They need as much area as chickens really.
    -It depends on the breed of duck but most ducks will be able, and many easily survive in the snow. Such as pekin muscovy etc.
    -Yes they are very messy, much more than chickens [​IMG] But if you only have one it wont be too bad.

5. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Keene's coop :

1. I am sure it can live with them.
    2. About any duck...but it would be best if it were a female..males might try to mate with the chickens.
    3. Muscovy would be the quietest. But other can be quiet too - Welsh harlequin, Cayuga....to mention a couple.
    4. If it is gonna be in confinement it would be best to have at least 15- 20 sq ft for the duck PLUS a big deep pan of water for it to bath in and clear its nose.
    5. Yes. They have down and feathers...very hardy.
    6. Yes they are messier than chickens....​

6. AustinM741

AustinM741 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Goldsboro, NC
    1: youd probably be better off getting two ducks, they will get along just fine, but they probably wont "hang out" with each other.
    2: ive had luck with most ducks being with chickens.
    3: my indian runner ducks are pretty quiet, except when my hen went broody and I approached the nest or if I approach the baby. But it really isnt a very loud noise, I dont think anyone would hear it unless they were in your yard.
    4: umm, thats a tough question. Whats your definition of "confinement?"
    5: runner ducks do very well in the winter. I wouldnt suggest you get any bird that migrates when they are wild. But most domesticated breeds do well in cold weather.
    6: I would say yes, they are messier. You will probably need to get them at least a small kiddie pool to clean themselves in, and this will cause a small mess around it.

Hope this helped.
    If you have any more questions about them, id b ev happy to assist you.
    Good luck! [​IMG]

7. Keene's coop

Feb 8, 2010
    neenah, wisconsin
    well i live in the city so they would not be able to leave the coop, unless i sneak them out once in a while

8. AustinM741

Jun 1, 2011
    Goldsboro, NC
    When you say "coop," do you mean coop and run? Or just a building?

9. Jojo's Coop

Jojo's Coop New Egg

Nov 28, 2010
    hello im new here i have questions that need answering i have 2 mallard/Rouen ducks 1 male 1 female they are housed w/ 1 silkie rooster 2 silkie hens and 5 asst pullets my chicken hens all are laying eggs since april now.my female duck is approx 15 mos old and she has been walking about quacking and looking all puffy and constantly swimming in the pool.this am i went to get the chicken eggs and there she was sitting in the chicken nest..what do mallard/Rouen eggs look like? and is she getting ready to lay her own eggs? please help

10. AustinM741

Jun 1, 2011
    Goldsboro, NC
    They're like an off white color. But look pretty much like chicken eggs. That sounds what mine have done in the past. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by