Duck Newbie

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Secretlyspotted, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Secretlyspotted

Secretlyspotted Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2013
    Carrollton GA
    Please forgive me because I'm sure this question has been asked an answered many times- but I can't find the exact information I'm looking for.
    Where do ducks prefer to sleep?
    Lol. I am experienced with chickens, so I'm not a total poultry newbie. And I did a bad thing and saw the cutest ducklings at TSC- took home 3. They have been in a brooder with my new chicks, and I have moved them all to a grow out pen with no problems. But the ducks are getting big enough to require their own place. Do they roost like chicken- like do they need a roosting bar in their coop? Or will they sleep on the ground as adults like they are doing now? Will they always go back to the same place to roost, again like my chickens?
    My chickens are free range and sleep in an enclosed coop at night. I am hoping to do the same with the ducks, but that coop is pretty full, so I'm looking into other options. I do have them a little swimming pool now and will be getting them a bigger one soon- I do know enough to know they need water!
    Any other advice would be appreciated! I'm not really sure on the gender or the breed of my ducklings. I think I have one Khaki Campbell, but I'm not sure about the others. One is black and they other was greyish yellow, with brownish feather coming in. I can post picks if that would be helpful to any potential advice-givers.
    TIA!
    April

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    ducks are pretty easy when it comes to housing. The 2 basic needs when you think about their housing is protection from predators and drafts. They don't roost like chickens, and they like to make their own little nests out of hay on the ground. They also don't need nest boxes...they lay just about anywhere, so it's and Easter egg hunt every morning!

They don't usually come back every night like chickens...when free ranging i teach mine to come when i call (or shake the feed bucket, lol). If they are in a small pasture they can just be herded back in...thankfully ducks stay together and are much easier to herd than chickens. They do pretty good free ranging unless you have a creek or river nearby...then they might float away, never to return! as i said, they ducks tend to all stay together.

one tip on the water, don't give it too them in the coop! i always feed and water the ducks outside in the morning, then withhold both at night...if i don't i have to change the bedding everyday! They will be fine over night without water as long as you don't feed them. When ever a duck eat they have to wash it down with water :)

If you post pictures of the ducklings i can try to figure out what they are :)
    If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask...i could talk about ducks all day!

3. Secretlyspotted

Secretlyspotted Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2013
    Carrollton GA
    Thanks! I will try to get individual ducky pics tomorrow. I heard the quack for the first time today- so cute!! They will be in a small pasture, unless the figure out how to fly out. Some of my chickens make a break for freedom, some of the are stuck. I pull the food in at night to discourage nighttime visitors- you would think we live on a possum nature reserve otherwise. :/
    Everybody says ducks are easy, but I am terrible about over thinking things- my chickens live in chicken heaven, so I'm hoping I will learn enough about ducky to make their life easy too!

4. Mel Bowen

Mel Bowen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2015
    Indiana
    I'm brooding my 8 ducklings in 2 cattle troughs. I have Pekins and they get big fast. I went to Goodwill and got low baskets and the ducklings love sleeping in it. I am not an expert but have had ducks in the past. I feed my ducklings slop every morning. I call it slop because they eat it like pigs, lol. If you are interested I can tell you how I make it. I make sure they have grit as well. I would love to see pics of your ducks.

5. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    sure! That would be great to see pics!! ikr, it is adorable...i have my new ducklings in my bedroom, so i get to listen to them all night (along with the chorus of peeps from 40 chicks, lol) Depending on the breed some will fly a bit and others won't at all. Most domestic breeds rarely try to fly (unlike chickens) but mallards will, and i have heard that Khaki campbells have occasionally done it along with runners, but mine don't try. Ducks are actually pretty clumsy (so cute!) Fun fact, all domestic duck breeds derived from the wild mallard with the exception of the muscovy, which came from tree duck heritage. They are the only ducks that will perch and will also fly some. I forgot to mention that, sorry. They are just as happy on the ground though...mine always slept with the others on the ground. I bet they will be quite happy at your place!

6. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    man, do pekins get big fast! i have a new pekin ducking brooding along with 9 other breeds, and he is almost twice the size of the others! all had the same hatch date too! I would be interested to know what your slop is if you would share :) lol, they are little pigs! they are also, well, ducks. They get their brooder so messy, that it is daily chore to clean it out!

7. Mel Bowen

Mel Bowen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2015
    Indiana
    Pekins do grow fast. First of all I slop them in the shower right next to their tub so after they eat I can plunk them in the tub to get the sticky off them.i bought the greatest little troughs at the dollar store. They have three sides and the front is open but has a lip. Slop- oats ground in the food prosper, couple spoons of plain yogurt, Brewers yeast, greens chopped and anything else I may have that is duck safe in the fridge like boiled egg, squash, grapes, peas. Add warm water to make it nice and sloppy. They really go nuts for it. After they eat like pigs and have their bath they sleep for the longest time. There have been a couple days that I just did not have time to give them their slop and I noticed they ate so much more crumbles those days. Have you given your peas? Mine go crazy when I feed the peas out of my hand. I think peas is duck crack, lol.

8. MamaRudey

MamaRudey Chillin' With My Peeps

You are right, peas are duck crack. LOL!!

9. ReeChatelain

ReeChatelain Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2012
    I have 4 rouen ducks who free range, we added on to our existing chicken coop thinking they'd go in at night. (I had read you could train them) it worked for a while when they were younger but once they got more comfortable there was no getting them in there. Mine sleep mostly by the pond edge or by my porch, i guess close to the house feels safe. Anyway So i now have an empty duck coop. Predators are a concern because we've lost a few chickens but the ducks seem smarter and much more aware of there surroundings.

10. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    thanks!! sounds like a great meal for them!! bet thety sure love it!

lol, it sure is like duck crack! [​IMG] I haven't fed the young ones peas yet, but the adults love them!! It is one of the treats i use for bonding/training!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by