Duck not eating after dog attack

indianaducks

Songster
Feb 4, 2021
Some loose dogs (not my dogs) came after my ducks free ranging yesterday. One of them bore the brunt of the attack and had some minor wounds. So we brought her inside to keep the wounds clean. She’s finally drinking but does not want to eat. Have tried all her favorites. Any suggestions?
She’s quacking when she hears her buddies in the distance. And hisses at me (she was super sweet prior to this), so at least she’s feisty. But would like to get her eating and drinking before she goes back to her friends. Thoughts?

Some loose dogs (not my dogs) came after my ducks free ranging yesterday. One of them bore the brunt of the attack and had some minor wounds. So we brought her inside to keep the wounds clean. She’s finally drinking but does not want to eat. Have tried all her favorites. Any suggestions?
She’s quacking when she hears her buddies in the distance. And hisses at me (she was super sweet prior to this), so at least she’s feisty. But would like to get her eating and drinking before she goes back to her friends. Thoughts?
Have you tried scrambled egg? And if you put her out with her buddies she may end up starting to eat.

First of all please don't let your ducks free range without supervision, it sure could have been alot worse. Shock is usually what keeps them from eating and drinking for a while after an attack, She hasn't any deep puncher wounds? Be sure to treat any wounds she does have to ward off infection.
If you can place her out with her flock but not with them so she can rest but still see them you may be able to get her to eat. As long as you feel she is not in shock any longer. When in shock it's best to keep them warm and quiet. I hope she recovers completely and is her sweet self again.

Have you tried scrambled egg? And if you put her out with her buddies she may end up starting to eat.
I can try scrambled eggs in a bit. I’m hoping to move her back with her buddies soon but she’s super sore and I was still trying to keep her wounds clean

First of all please don't let your ducks free range without supervision, it sure could have been alot worse. Shock is usually what keeps them from eating and drinking for a while after an attack, She hasn't any deep puncher wounds? Be sure to treat any wounds she does have to ward off infection.
If you can place her out with her flock but not with them so she can rest but still see them you may be able to get her to eat. As long as you feel she is not in shock any longer. When in shock it's best to keep them warm and quiet. I hope she recovers completely and is her sweet self again.
I was sitting outside with them and it still happened. But thanks.
And yes I’ve been treating her wounds and she’s no longer in shock. I will move her outside so she can see her buddies when it warms up.

Wow that is awful to be there and the dogs still attacked. I believe I'd be armed from now on. You have every right to protect your property and that includes your ducks.

Please let us know how she is doing.

Wow that is awful to be there and the dogs still attacked. I believe I'd be armed from now on. You have every right to protect your property and that includes your ducks.

Please let us know how she is doing.
Thanks. It was traumatizing for all of us. A friend and I were sitting outside with the ducks. My friend wanted to feed them. The dogs came from behind us so we didn’t see them until it was way too late and then it was just mad chaos. I’m thankful it wasn’t worse and my sweet duck is still alive

I moved her back to her friends and she’s moving slowly but seems happier to be out there anyway. She’s periodically looking for snacks in the grass at least. Hopefully she perks up and is okay.

Back
Top Bottom