duck not eating "duck" food

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bryntee, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Bryntee

Bryntee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I figured I would just post a quick question instead of googling it and getting a whole bunch of information that may or may not be accurate. Anyway I've got a house duck. YES a HOUSE duck lol. Well I work from 6am to 3pm so Charlie (my duck) is at home with my mother-in-law all day. We will be making the big move hopefully before christmas to our new home so for the time being we are living with the 'rents. Charlie gets up about about 5:30am which I'm out the door before then so I don't see her and her bedtime varies depending on the day. She sleeps in a dog kennel but gets free range of the house when she's up and if we're home. We are still waiting on her diaper. So my mother-in-law tells me Charlie doesn't seem to be eating her duck food which is Dumor grower/finisher poultry feed. It's a crumble texture. BUT during the day Charlie also gets her fill of canned peas, green beans, and apples. Those are her favorite and yes she does have grit available. I don't feed her all this stuff when I'm around but my mother-in-law has a 22lb pure bred chihuahua so she thinks ALL her pets are hungry and need "yummies". My question is could the reason she is not eating her duck food be because she's saving herself for the good stuff? And I do know she NEEDS to eat the duck food but I need solid facts to tell my mother-in-law so she knows it's true and I'm not just guessing. Thanks a bunch! Any other input is welcome! :)

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Do kids prefer junk food to the 'real stuff'? Poultry does too.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Okay what she has a 22lb chi? oh my goodness, i had one myself she was 6lbs! i cannot imagine... this is sounding like to much love lol

The duck has to have more of the complete feed, the treats need to be cut back, Storey's guide to ducks has good info on feeding, we have a great sticky for duckling care that may help for the immediate.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

I am not anti treat but it cannot replace a complete feed, i don't actually treat my ducks.. they are all outdoors though, they can find their own lol

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  4. Bryntee

Jun 27, 2013
    Wisconsin
    lol Well I agree with you! :) I have 2 guinea pigs and a pomeranian also soooo she likes to feed them as well... A LOT!! :) needless to say when we move that will ALL change. She wonders why Charlie poops so much. haha the more you feed her the more she poops. I mean it seems like that anyway. ;)

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    LOl she needs an alternative for showing her love, an overweight pet is not good for them(as you know) it's hard i have a real "cookie monster" shih tzu but i limit have to he's a big guy overall(like over standard, he's pure just big)

6. Bryntee

Jun 27, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I've been round and round with her about all that but her exact words are "he's happy and he's healthy". lol so she feels like since the vet says he's healthy and since he's happy with eating all that then it's okay. Which I tell her "well yeah he's going to be happy eating junk, it's junk! I feel happy when I'm eating a donut but in the long run I'm not happy about it because it's not good for me". It's no use. It'll all be better once we are in our own house... :) I do not want an overweight duck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by