Duck not eating

Ducklingmum

Songster
Jul 11, 2017
Hi all,

I have a 18 week old 'duckling' that has decided she doesn't like the layers pellets. she has always been a fussy eater, didnt particularly like chick crumb either, but now she isn't eating them at all (I havn't changed brand throughout. I also can't change brand as I have another duck that has allergies!).

I have been giving the duckling fresh garden peas, sweetcorn, lettuce and wholemeal pasta. but now she is going off these as well, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can give her?

She does eat grass and small amounts of mealworms.

Thanks,

Helen

How long has she been on layer? Not every duck will take to pellets so maybe that is her problem. How is she other wise bright eyed running around like a normal duck? Maybe cut out the other things which are treats and see if she gets hungry enough to eat. Are they Pekins or white layers?

She has been on layers for about 8 - 9 weeks as she started to refuse her chick crumb.

She is a Khaki x Magpie and is acting like a little cheeky duckling should. She completed her first molt with no issues at all.

i did try removing all the 'treats' but she didnt eat for two days and she was stood there shouting at me because she was hungry. i thought best to give her something? i am trying to give less treats so she will eat pellets but she just wont eat them.

I was going by your avatar pic. Have you tried making a soupy mix with warm water to see if she'll eat that way?
I've never had a picky eater in my poultry just a few dogs over the years. Try using warm water on just a small amount of the pellets and add just a tiny bit of threat to it to see if she goes for that. Mix the treat in well.

my avatar is one of my other feather babies, Aylesbury..

i have tried mushing pellets and no joy with that. i do mix treats in but they are little experts at only eating what they want!

i remember having to disguise tablets in something new each day as they figure it out (other duck with bad leg not new duckling). ‍♀️

sorry, it does sound like I am regecting ideas but i have tried all sorts and i am worried.

What weight of food should she be eating per day? She weights 1.6kg.

Well I am at a loss, other than cold turkey and tough love I don't know what to tell ya. But she isn't going to be very healthy if she isn't eating a complete balanced diet.
I just put feed out in the morning mine eat free all day till they go to bed so I've never thought about what amount they should eat per duck. I'll see if I can find out. It just seems odd that she is refusing to eat even her treats now. Is a vet an option maybe she needs an expert to have a look at her.

I do the same with the other ducks, feed out in the morning and they eat what they want, when they want it.

Will try again this weekend cutting out the treats, she has just eaten about a tea spoonfull of pellets.

Vet maybe next week if it continues. i did take her temperature and that is fine.

Thanks Miss Lydia. x

Back
Top Bottom