Duck not laying

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cerysrat, Mar 9, 2017.

1. cerysrat

cerysrat New Egg

Mar 9, 2017
    We have 3 ducks, 1 male pekin, 2 female khaki campbells and 12 chickens. The chooks have been laying like crazy but the ducks haven't laid at all. Is it bc we have a male in with the girls?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Where are you located? Most ducks are seasonal layers. Mine haven't started yet either. Chickens have been bred for year round egg production where ducks haven't been, so most don't start laying until it's warm enough to hatch and brood. Here in Wisconsin it's usually April or May when they start.

3. cerysrat

cerysrat New Egg

Mar 9, 2017
    We are in Victoria in Australia so just coming into autumn.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They may not lay until spring, but I'm not familiar with you climate and how it affect their laying unfortunately.

5. Krazyquilts

Krazyquilts Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

How old are they? From what I've heard, ducks don't start laying until after they are 4 months old. Mine were 6 months old when they started laying because when they were turning 4 months old, it was when our cold weather was starting and decreasing amounts of daylight. Are they showing any kind of sexual activity?

Edited because I hit submit too early.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Khaki Campbells are great layers - especially when young, they can lay nearly every day.

Things that will prevent them from laying are - diet, temperature, stress, toxins in their environment, and overmating. What condition are they in? Does the drake mate with them all the time?

How old are they?

What food do they get? Water sources?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by