Duck not okay after mating.

Loopeend

Crowing
Jun 12, 2018
One duck has mated yesterday for the first time; I was looking on and nothing out of the ordinairy seemed to happen. Just one clean mate.
I'm sure it was only 1 clean mate with nothing out of the ordinairy; since I was there the whole day and we lock the drake up at night (but they can still see each other) because one of the other female ducks makes a massive amount of noise during mating that we don't want the neighbours to be woken up by at night.

She has laid an egg tonight.

But today she does not want to get up. She has her tail down. And prefers to scoot on the ground then walking.
If she walks she uses both her legs fine; but she walks more slowly and with her behind down. We checked on leg/feet/hip/cloaca issues; nothing.
She swims and eats and snacks and drinks and poops; but she does not wash or preen. She also hides from the drake. In such extreme matter she wants to sit on my partners lap the whole time. She normally quacks a lot; but now she is hiding quitely. Her overall spirit is gone.

I'm a bit worried if it might be a physical thing. She is 50 procent Indian runner and 50 procent wild duck, the rest are all 100% Indian runners. She is over a year old. Good steady layer, the leader of the group before this drake-business.

What might be going on with her? The other female ducks who are multiple times mated, and some not so clean ones that ended up in some leg-wounds due to not wanting it, and turning sometimes in some heavy pecking-fights, are not acting this way.

I would offer some calcium supplemental on the possibility that it is a calcium deficiency. If the drake is significantly larger than her there is always the possibility of hip or pelvic injury. Judging from your descriptions of the other hens reaction to his mating, this may be an over aggressive clumsy drake. I would remove such a drake from my flock.

My drakes have litterly killed my ducks and chickens lock him up

I followed your advice.

I hoped he would just chill after a day. It was just the first 'everything is new anxiety'. But instead I locked him up. And I´m glad I did. That drake is loco. As soon as the females are nearby he tries to scracth-bite the pen-mesh open like a madman :O
And he takes on aggresive poses and hisses.
Never seen this before.

He came as a pair. Lived with another man. I shifted them around a bit to see if it would change his behaviour. Result;
The other drake A. is chill no matter what combinations. All females accept him directly. Some ask him to be mated, and he mates gently.
Angry drake B. is in no situation chill; no females like him. He rapes less when seperated from drake A. because he gets frantic when seperated from drake A. and is only busy to be with drake A. again.

It's a bit sad now. He is locked up, but drake A. doesn't like him either apparently. Not the same way as angry drake B. likes drake A. So he has no social contact now since they all just ignore him.

I feel a bit guilty. He has a pen that is larger then some groups of ducks/chicken have, water, swimming pool, food.. but no social interaction. And he has to live another 2 months like this untill he can go to an all male group.. I don't feel like I can sell him; since buyers will want him to be the drake of a female group when sold alone. What is wise?

If an only drake to an all female flock he maybe totally different?

Tried that out too. But after a few hours had to remove again. He was pulling on eyelids :O

I might try again in a week, just to be sure. Maybe he just needs to chill out longer. One of my black females took two weeks to stop stressing/screaming day and night before she chilled a bit in the new environment. And is still socially awkward. He might be such an unique scaredy cat and social clumsy too.

I have a reservation for a educational biological food-forrest for 4-6 drakes. Would like to place pure-breed males over there (pure breed because it is also educational). Since the forest is more prone to foxes then where I live; he might fit well with his agressiveness.

Back
Top Bottom