Duck not preening due to injured wing (very anxious mummy)

mariajames49

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2021
Duck not preening due to injured wing (very anxious mummy)
Wondering if anyone has any advice for me , my duck is getting really wet and her feathers are not waterproofing as she is unable to preen due to an injured wing. I am having to bring her indoors every evening to blow dry her to make sure she doesn’t get too cold and develop pneumonia. I’m wonderin if there is anthing i can put on her wing to make them Waterproof or possibly add to her diet ??
Hope someone can offer some advice. Thanks in advance.

Will her wing eventually heal where she'll be able to use it again? I honestly don't know of a thing you can use on her. You can feed her more protein, meal worms , some cat kibble, dog kibble, good quality. But what your doing now may be the best you can do until she can preen and have a good molt too.

Will her wing eventually heal where she'll be able to use it again? I honestly don't know of a thing you can use on her. You can feed her more protein, meal worms , some cat kibble, dog kibble, good quality. But what your doing now may be the best you can do until she can preen and have a good molt too.
Thank you bless you I’m not sure I don’t think it will heal as it’s an old injury where her wing was damaged by her sister and now she is 14 years old (geriatric I think for a duck) the injury has turned arthritic apparently. I may need to take her to the vet to get some painkillers now and maybe she will be able to move it easier. Trouble is there’s a swelling where the arthritis is too so not sure what the vet can do. What is cat kibble or dog kibble ?
I was wondering if I fed her omega 3 oils or applied them to her feathers what do you think ?

Back
Top Bottom