duck not very active

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickengirlnm, Sep 30, 2007.

1. chickengirlnm

chickengirlnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    i have a question about my female duck - for the last week or so I have noticed that she is pretty laid back more than normal. She is eating, drinking, and going to the bathroom just fine. She is just sitting more than normal. she will get up and move if I go near her and she is walking fine.
    I have had her about 2 months now and she has been breeding with my mallard mix just about every day. I am not sure of her age I dont think very old ( not even 1 year yet )
    If they have been breeding daily when will she lay eggs? I really dont want baby ducks this late in the season so if she does lay should I just take her eggs from her?Do ducks go broody like hens? sorry for so many questions but I was just wondering what might be going on with her.
    I want baby ducks just not during winter LOL

2. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Depending on the breed, she could be laying soon.

You can take the eggs away from her daily- They're good to eat too- just a little richer than chicken eggs. Especially good for baking .

Yes, ducks go broody- but I think they aren't as stubborn about it as many chickens are. They need a bunch of eggs to really go broody.

My ducks are roosting a lot- as there is plenty of food about right now (it's been raining). So perhaps she's just roosting. But, if the behavior is dramatically different, keep an eye out and see if there is anything else that could be going on.

I hope I answered all your questions-
    Good luck
    Sandra

3. chickengirlnm

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    thank you for your help I have been checking this post often and was hoping someone could help me.
    Ebony is still acting normal just sitting alot- as far as I know she is a cuyaga ( sp?) duck I really hope she lays some eggs than I would feel much better knowing why she is so " lazy " right now. I know as far as health goes she is fine - still eating and everything - she did turn down treats yesterday ( watermelon) but since this is the first time I have given the ducks/chickens watermelon she could have turned it down because she did not like it.
    I will have to keep posted on what is going on with her.Do ducks normally lay this time of year?

4. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    There are some duck breeds that lay all year round. It sounds like she might start laying soon.

5. chickengirlnm

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    it would be nice if she started laying soon since the only hen old enough to lay has stopped so that would at least balance everything out for now LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by