1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck nutrition help needed!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by DuckingtonSteel, Apr 4, 2015.

1. DuckingtonSteel

DuckingtonSteel New Egg

Apr 4, 2015
    First post, please excuse any formatting or board mistakes. Anyways, i've had a duck for about 8 weeks now, which is why I decided to join this website. I've been having trouble properly feeding my duck. Proper duck feed is not readily available where I live. I decided to feed it a variety of vegetables. It usually eats peas, tomatoes, and often other pieces of vegetables that are cooked with our food. It also eats quite a bit of raw chicken and it has gotten used to it. Now i'm not sure if it's safe for me to continue feeding it chicken the way I do. Please don't judge me for being a bad care taker, i've tried my best but the internet has very little information about what I can do to my duck. Also, as a side note; could someone suggest how I could make my own home made feed that it will eat? We've tried making a feed out of corn and wheat but it won't touch it even with water next to it.

Keep in mind that this is an indoor duck and has been imprinted on us.

Thank you for any answers that you guys can come up with!

2. DuckingtonSteel

DuckingtonSteel New Egg

Apr 4, 2015
    Bump! Responses needed please!

3. BlueWater29

BlueWater29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Metzer Farms Website. Great info!

4. DuckingtonSteel

DuckingtonSteel New Egg

Apr 4, 2015
    Thanks for the reply dude, but if you're well informed, could you tell me if its safe for my duck to eat raw meat like twice a day? It REALLY loves eating meat.

5. magicdave

magicdave Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2015
    It's okay to feed small amounts of meat to ducks but not as a regular ration. Of your duck won't 31st, wait. Hunger is a powerful motivator. My ducks did not like their feed at first but eat it like it is candy. As hatchlings they became "spoiled" eating my "duckling starter." After switching them to adult feed they rejected it for a few days demanding the starter feed but I didn't give in to their demands

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by