duck of different kinds together?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kaylah, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Kaylah

Kaylah Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2011
    Saint petersburg
    Can you have multiple breeds of ducks all living together? I have rouens and would like to get call ducks or east indies ducks. Would they get along or would the rouens be aggresive and hurt them? Please help me

2. ZoeS95423

ZoeS95423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    They should get along, if you introduce them properly. But there will be some fights, getting the pecking order... well in order.
    Also, call ducks fly, so you would have to have a covered area for them.

3. Kaylah

Jun 19, 2011
    Saint petersburg
    Could you explain how to introduce them properly?? the Rouens I have now were chased and attacked by the males in the last group. (mom disappeared o_O) So we had to get rid of them and I had no idea how to introduce them. As for the flying away, I have read that if you are really close to the ducks they wont fly away... am i right?

4. Heiko27

Heiko27 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    I hear ducks are easier going them chickens in general when introducing but I'm no expert. My khakis live with some mixes and an indian runner, but they have grown up together

5. ZoeS95423

ZoeS95423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    at first, make sure they can see each other but NOT get to each other, for a few days or so. Then, let them be outside together after a few day, and then put them in their seperate pens again at night. And after a week or so, you can put them together... Well this is what I do anyway. Someone else might do it differently

6. Kaylah

Jun 19, 2011
    Saint petersburg
    thx so much for your help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by