Duck off her legs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ducksatthepoint, Jan 14, 2017.

1. ducksatthepoint

ducksatthepoint New Egg

Jan 14, 2017
    My Welsh Harlequin is 7mth old and unable to stand at all. She is one of four backyard ducks. One 2 yr old Cayuga male, One Cayuga hen, Welsh Harlequin Drake and Hen, they are all 7 mths. old. This week (3 days ago) our pond melted and they were all out in the yard playing in the water. They have always been left to play in the yard and even share the same sleeping house. No trouble at all until the last few weeks. The drakes are hen crazy and often chase and pick on each other for the girls attention. We are isolating them in these last weeks to keep the peace. We plan to add two more hens in the spring to stop this behavior. I did not see my little Dottie get hurt, but found her in the yard using her wings and beak to move. She is eating, layed an egg the next day, drinking and does not seem in pain at all. We are giving her the usual grower finisher high quality food, adding Niacin and Brewer's yeast, keeping vitamins in her water and giving her 5 grains of aspirin 2x a day. Bringing her in for an hour or two each day for warm water bathes in the laundry tub. She swims easily and paddles. Her legs seems solid, hip joints seem ok. Nothing seems warm to the touch and she does not flinch like she has any pain. I checked her over and nothing seems out of the ordinary. She does seem delicate to us. A mink attack last summer left her with a neck wound (not bad) and shock. It took 6 wks before she remembered she was a duck and not a swan with an S curve neck. She definitely favored her neck for quite a while. I am thinking that the Cayuga older drake may have tried to mate her and was too aggressive. He can be rough with the other Cayuga as well, but she is very sassy with him. If she is eating, not in pain, laying eggs and we are adding all the extra nutrients to her diet, what else can I do to help her? Heat lamp on warm dry straw in safe environment all day and night. Her mate is very gentle and leaves her to just rest, so we don't separate them. I watch them on the nest cam all day and night. Have you had this problem? Am I missing something. Could her pelvis be broke, soft tissue injury?
    Thinking of a vet next week if she does not improve this weekend. She just lays and is unable to do much.......
    Thanks for your reply.

2. BBCHICKS123

BBCHICKS123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2016
    Wander land
    Ya l would say the vet is yours best bet. Until than if she doesn't in prove keep her in what she is in now just make sure she does not re-injur it do you have a pic

3. ducksatthepoint

ducksatthepoint New Egg

Jan 14, 2017
    A picture would not show much, just her laying in the corner of her bed. I have a nest cam and can track and review her movement. There is not much to view. She just drags her self over to the water and feed.

4. BBCHICKS123

Dec 19, 2016
    Wander land
    K

5. ducksatthepoint

ducksatthepoint New Egg

Jan 14, 2017

this is a video of how she has spent the last three days. Just sitting in the corner eating and not getting up at all.

6. ducksatthepoint

ducksatthepoint New Egg

Jan 14, 2017
    I took a screen clip of her behavior and uploaded it to you tube. This site wont let me upload until they review it. It will be good for the vet to see if I decide to take her in. The nest cam is a great tool!

7. ducksatthepoint

ducksatthepoint New Egg

Jan 14, 2017
    [​IMG]

8. ducksatthepoint

ducksatthepoint New Egg

Jan 14, 2017
    If you go to youtube and search "dottie injured" you'll see the video clip off my nest cam.

9. BBCHICKS123

Dec 19, 2016
    Wander land
    I think It might be her back

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by