Duck Off!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jammie, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Jammie

Jammie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2016
    Hi from South Texas! I'm the proud owner (owner used lightly) of 6 runner ducks. We're in our adventure by 6 weeks this past Monday! 2 blue runners (6 weeks) and 4 black (4 weeks). The girls are finally outside and are thriving. Tonight will be their 3rd night out of the house and into their pen. I've have gotten a lot of good info from the forums and appreciate all of you who post! Thanks for having me!

Jammie

2. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock! Indian Runners are an amazing breed and my favorite. They are unique, friendly, calm, and amazing egg layers. You'll love duck eggs. Duck eggs are creamier than a chicken egg. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Jammie and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us.

If you check out the Learning Centre, you'll find a whole host of resources on all things duck / chicken.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Your state thread is worth joining as you will get to know other BYC members in your area (https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread). In fact, the search box should become your best friend [​IMG] Lastly but by no means least, the members here are amazing - very friendly and helpful, so if you need an answer to a question or simply want some reassurance that what you are doing is ok, then post away - we all help each other out here at BYC.

All the best
    CT

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  5. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Glad to hear you're having a good time with the ducks...Indian Runners are a lot of fun to watch.

It's nice to have you here!

1 person likes this.
  6. Jammie

Mar 3, 2016
    Thank you! I will!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC, I have never seen runners in person. They really can't fly ???? They really seem neat.

8. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    They are naturally flightless. The upright stance doesn't help either. Rule of thumb when looking at geese and ducks: If it was bred for meat or eggs it's flightless. People didn't feel like sharing meat and eggs for free.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  9. Jammie

Mar 3, 2016
    so far they are so awesome and funny. When I call out to them they quack back and sound like the penguin from batman! Makes me laugh everytime!!

10. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

That's fascinating, I didn't know that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by