Duck on it's back

Shellysstuff7

Songster
May 25, 2019
Spring Valley, Arizona
Hi, I have 3 Cayuga Ducklings that are almost 2 weeks old. I have one that has gotten on her back twice now and freaks out and thrashes around. When I pick her up and hold her for a few seconds then she seems to come out of it. I gave them quick chic from Murry McMurry Hatchery for the first 3 days as instructed. From what I have read on here they need to have brewers yeast or Niacin.
I didn't know I needed to feed them brewers yeast. How much do I put on their food? Do I have to give the brewers yeast to them or will Niacin be enough? Sorry for all the questions!
Thank you for any and all help!!!

I prefer nutritional yeast to brewer's yeast, partly because it contains more niacin - see this thread for more info. I just sprinkle some onto the fermented feed for my waterfowl.

You may want to try adding liquid Vitamin B Complex to their water at this point since she may be showing signs of deficiency.

There are other possible causes for the behavior you described, but ruling out niacin deficiency would be a logical start. Sometimes seizures can manifest with symptoms like flipping on backs, too. Could something have caused a seizure, like a loud noise, lights turning on or off, sudden movement?

I prefer nutritional yeast to brewer's yeast, partly because it contains more niacin - see this thread for more info. I just sprinkle some onto the fermented feed for my waterfowl.

You may want to try adding liquid Vitamin B Complex to their water at this point since she may be showing signs of deficiency.

There are other possible causes for the behavior you described, but ruling out niacin deficiency would be a logical start. Sometimes seizures can manifest with symptoms like flipping on backs, too. Could something have caused a seizure, like a loud noise, lights turning on or off, sudden movement?
Hi, no there is nothing that could of caused the issue that I can see. I have no other animals around them and no lights. I appreciate your help!! I went and got them some Niacin for now I will look into getting something to add to their feed. Thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom