Duck on nest

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by veronicasmom, Aug 9, 2010.

1. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    My littlest duckie girl has made a nest for herself way out back in the weeds. She usually sits on it for a few hours and then comes in, but today she's been on it since early this am. If I go to get her off, she hisses and tries to bite me (I think I make her even madder because I laugh at her). Well, at some point I need her off the nest because they get locked in at night. I feel bad having to move her, but if I don't she will be a coyote or foxes snack for sure. Is there something I should do to make it easier on her?

2. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

It sounds liek she is brooding now. if you have a dog kennel, like a medium sized Vari-Kennel. you could try to move her nest into it and see if she still sets on it after that. if she does, lock the door on her and carry it back to the coop and PRAY that she accepts her nest in it's new place but do not remove it from the kennel.

I have had to do that a few times with my Muscovies, they usually accept the nest again but they are also more laid back that other breeds. good luck with her and i'll keep my fingers crossed for ya!! [​IMG]

These are VERY handy for hauling birds and for brooding hens. if you dont have one maybe you could borrow one or find one at a 2nd hand store for cheap.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  3. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    She finally came off the nest after about 11 hours on it. Her nest is not one I can move, she made it in the grass/weeds and dirt. It's just a hollow with the weeds around it to shield her. I have a ton of those little carriers, between guinea pigs, a rabbit, cats, a chinchilla and the ducks. She will not like going in it, she was freaked out by it when we brought her home from the shelter.
    I am going to hope she better today. Going out in a few minutes to check. She is one odd little duck (she's the one with only one wing and is the tiniest. She's also the meanest!!! I love her, but she's a bit loony).[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by