Duck or Drake??

BronteDane

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 2, 2013

Hi everyone these are our Runner Ducks we are still unsure whether they are ducks or drakes? I am thinking the darker feathered is a drake? any advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
They don't stand very upright for Runners...
anyways color has little to do with it for Runners.
Who quacks? Females quack, males do a raspy "whaaap" type thing.

Oh they are most definately runners and they do stand a lot more up right. I referred to the darker feathered soley because the head shape is slightly different flatter and the bill is straighter but I could be wrong hence asking for advice. I have definately heard a waspy noise but no quacks yet? Thanks for the advice much appreciated

Last edited:
Oh they are most definately runners and they do stand a lot more up right.  I referred to the darker feathered soley because the head shape is slightly different flatter and the bill is straighter but I could be wrong hence asking for advice.  I have definately heard a waspy noise but no quacks yet?  Thanks for the advice much appreciated

How old are they?
If they stand almost vertical when startled, then that is a great stance for a Runner. They must not be very startled here, then. And head shape varies- just like in humans.

They are only three months old here is another picture of them standing upright the breeder said she thought the darker feathered was a Drake due to head shape

Pick them up one at a time if they quack their a girl and if they make a low raspy sound they are a boy. At this age you should be able to tell.

Back
Top Bottom