Duck Orphans

Bill in Dallas

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 30, 2017
Dallas, Texas
Hello All,

Mallard ducks love to nest in my neighbors yard. The first year she thought this was great - until she had to drain her pool. So, this year, she and a few of her friends herded 11 ducklings down to a creek across the street from our houses. Within a day or two, the hen and 5 ducklings showed in our yard (she has a more secure fence around her pool than we do). Although they poop a lot, I like the ducks and I began to feed them. After a couple of weeks, the mother duck disappeared. So, I continued to feed them. Eventually, they all flew away with random ducks who would visit our pool. Although, I missed them, it was nice to have our pool back.

Within a couple of weeks after the first group flew away, another hen laid her eggs in my neighbor's yard. However, by this time she was doing remodeling and contractors were making noise and left her gate open. So, the hen marched her two day old ducklings over to my yard. The ducks were super cute and once again I fed them. Again, within about two weeks, the hen went MIA.

The ducklings can now fly, but they don't know where to fly. (The first group would only fly away when they were with a random duck).

My questions are:

1. Did the fact that I fed the ducklings somehow cause the hens to abandon their ducklings? (They eat out of my hand, but I do not hold them and do not pet them.) It seems strange to have this happen twice in a row.

2. I have not seen a "random duck" in a while (they used to visit the pool a lot in the spring). Will this second group stay until a random duck flies into my yard (which probably will not occur until the spring).

Thanks for any advice or comments.

Well, its weird that it happened twice. No one at my house would chase off a mother duck. However, my other neighbor does not like ducks in his pool and chases them. I can't imagine that would cause a mother to abandon her ducklings in my yard.

Last edited:
If you have wild ducks and geese that fly over probably the latest will see and move on. I don't know what could have happened to both mothers. 2 weeks is def too young to be left on their own, Do they forage at all in your yard?

If you have wild ducks and geese that fly over probably the latest will see and move on. I don't know what could have happened to both mothers. 2 weeks is def too young to be left on their own, Do they forage at all in your yard?
Thanks so much for your reply. Yes. They do forage, but they seem pretty dependent on what I feed them.

That is the problem with feeding our wild feathered friends. They do get dependent on us once we start feeding them. I am just as bad since I feed the wild birds that come around. Most wild water fowl have the built in instinct to migrate but since your in Dallas do they stick around all year? How old are they now?

This is why we are heart broken when we hear of people dumping domestic ducks at parks and rivers etc they don't have the instinct to migrate and even if they did most can't even fly. So they perish from lack of good feed and extreme temps in cold areas.

Hopefully your ducklings will take off one of these days and probably next year they will be back with a mate and it will start all over again. Maybe wait till you see what these do before you decide to give up feeding them. If they faly off then you will know you helped them since mom left them at such a young age if they stick around then you have some wild pet ducks. lol You just can't keep them penned up since they are wild. Or you get a permit.

That is the problem with feeding our wild feathered friends. They do get dependent on us once we start feeding them. I am just as bad since I feed the wild birds that come around. Most wild water fowl have the built in instinct to migrate but since your in Dallas do they stick around all year? How old are they now?

This is why we are heart broken when we hear of people dumping domestic ducks at parks and rivers etc they don't have the instinct to migrate and even if they did most can't even fly. So they perish from lack of good feed and extreme temps in cold areas.

Hopefully your ducklings will take off one of these days and probably next year they will be back with a mate and it will start all over again. Maybe wait till you see what these do before you decide to give up feeding them. If they faly off then you will know you helped them since mom left them at such a young age if they stick around then you have some wild pet ducks. lol You just can't keep them penned up since they are wild. Or you get a permit.
Thanks for your response. The ducks are two months old and they can fly (They have started to fly a lot over the past few days). In fact, today I am missing one. There is no evidence of feathers or blood around so I don't think a predator got him. Hopefully, he flew off and the others will follow soon. (With my first group, one flew off, then three, then a very distraught last duck - but they all flew off with "visiting" ducks).

Back
Top Bottom