Duck outside run

4Duckssofar

Chirping
Apr 16, 2021
Hi everyone, hoping to get some advice about my outside duck run. I have 5 beautiful Aylesburys. Im in the UK and have been turfing their run but it’s just turning into a poop swamp. I’ve added a roof to part of the outside run to keep it dry but wondered if anyone had any ideas on the best floor covering i could use instead of turf. I don’t mind the mess or the cleaning up after them, they are so worth it in my eyes 🦆❤️ I just don’t want them to get sick because I’m not able to keep on top of it. Hoping for some ideas and inspiration from fellow duck lovers ☺️

Mine do well with coarse sand. In the winter I throw some straw over it for them to bed down on when outside of the coop. It works for us.

Did you put the sand straight on top of dirt?
I did. You want a good thick coating maybe 6" deep. I had sand on the property so just moved it to the run. The nice thing about it is that you can scoop the poo and clean up pretty easily. I use a kitty litter scoop and just clean out the poos. I usually do it daily. If the sand does get compacted (which seems to happen with ducks since they don't scratch), you can turn it over with a shovel to loosen it up. I also take the sand once in awhile.

I did. You want a good thick coating maybe 6" deep. I had sand on the property so just moved it to the run. The nice thing about it is that you can scoop the poo and clean up pretty easily. I use a kitty litter scoop and just clean out the poos. I usually do it daily. If the sand does get compacted (which seems to happen with ducks since they don't scratch), you can turn it over with a shovel to loosen it up. I also take the sand once in awhile.
Thanks for the tips! This sounds like a fab choice I’ll give it a try. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom