Duck Owners in North Georgia

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hendrix25, Sep 1, 2009.

1. hendrix25

hendrix25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    GA
    Are there any on here? Please reply if you live in North Georgia.

Thanks

2. NeWcHiCkAdDiCt

NeWcHiCkAdDiCt New Egg

Jul 19, 2009
    Georgia
    Hey, I live in cobb co,Georgia, I just got 2 muscovy ducks, also have 3 chicks and 2 full grown chickens ! Where are you?

3. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I live in Thomson GA.

4. hendrix25

hendrix25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    GA
    I live in Forsyth Co. North of Atlanta.

How do you plan on winterizing for your ducks? I have three Cayugas and just trying to figure out what to do when the temps drop. How do you're chickens do during the winter. I know GA isn't as cold as the states up north so I wanted some opinions from owners down this way. Suggestions?

5. NeWcHiCkAdDiCt

NeWcHiCkAdDiCt New Egg

Jul 19, 2009
    Georgia
    I have only had chickens for 3 1/2 months and duckling for about 1 month, so im not quite sure about how the winter will go, for my chickens I have a coop,i will put plexie? glass in front of the windows with small holes drilled to make sure they have some air, I will add a thicker layer of pine shavings, and i heard they will also need vaseline on combs and wattles, that is pretty much it. As for the ducks, i am still researching on how to winterize them.

6. duckboatprincess

duckboatprincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Does it freeze down there? Man! I'm just tarping our pen and putting some hay bales around it for the ducks and I'm in MI!!

7. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Yes, it does freeze down here, sometimes. I really don' t do anything different. Just make sure the water keeps from freezing. The birds do just fine without any extra protection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by