Duck owners in spokane or northern idaho area?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by polenslager, Aug 14, 2011.

1. polenslager

polenslager Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2008
    post falls Idaho
    First time duck owner here and I would like to know what others in our area do for our
    winters and ducks..

I may end up giving my three rouen ducks (all male) away since they have started to attack my one
    dashound but if I can get that to stop I would like advice on winters, keeping them safe and warm and
    with water..

2. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Hi there. I actually am in Western WA, but will be curious to responses you get Re: winters.

My dachshunds are the aggressors in our family....the ducks nip back, but they doxies would eat the ducks for lunch if they could get to them. So ducks are never out when doxies are, and vice versa.

3. polenslager

polenslager Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2008
    post falls Idaho
    We built an addition to the chicken house, actually enclosed the awning that was attached to it already. It has a dirt floor, and some nest boxes
    for the chickens and a couple of roosts but lots more room. I think the dirt floor will help with the water mess maybe. But I am not sure
    what all works best, no water at night, can they go outside? I don't let the chickens out when it is really cold and snowy..
    so they will all get stir crazy before spring..

Water and bedding ideas and such would help I think!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by