Duck pain meds?

Crayonsmom

Songster
10 Years
Jun 29, 2009
MA
So, you know my duckling that wouldn't put much weight on one leg? Well (I feel terrible because I could have prevented this!
he.gif
) she had another fall, due to poor balance because of her lameness. Now I'm a wreck because I don't know what's wrong. She won't move either leg and seems very ouchy around the tail area. Possibly swollen around there as well, but it's hard to tell because of her feathers and fluffies. For now I just put positioned her comfortably in a rubbermaid box and put food and water directly in front of her. Hopefully we can get her to a bird vet very soon, but I fear the worst. I'm actually most worried about the fact that I don't think she's pooped in about 4 hours!
hit.gif
but temporarily, is there anything safe I can give her to take away some of the pain? I also plan on adding some more Niacin to her diet in case, although I'm still worried about the poo issue. I let her float around in the tub earlier and no poop then either. Help?
sad.png

Save the $$$$$ on the med's and the vet bill and do the right thing and process it, but somehow I think your of the mind to spend a few hundred to have a vet tell you it needs to be put down. wish you luck.

Thanks. I agree I'd rather spend the money just to take her right to the vet as soon as possible. I'm hoping for the best but prepared for the worst. But honestly, if she's still obviously in qutie a bit of pain tomorrow, the best decision amy be to have somebody cull her... I hate the idea, but as long as it's quick, it might be the most humane option.
sad.png
Poor little duckie. I don't think I'll ever get over this, especially because I was stupid to allow her to move around as much as I was when she was limping. I do hope she somehow miraculously improves though. Thanks for the luck.
fl.gif

Is it eating? If not, that's why it's not pooping. Could be internal blockage, too.
How old is the duckling?

I'm not sure if it is against the rules to ask about this, but does marijuana help birds? I am not promoting or insinuating to illegally go get some, though in some states some people can legally possess it for their own medical purposes. I am just wondering if anyone knows of any studies on this, because I cannot see any. Or what about any type of human over the counter pain relief? Do we know of any of those to work?

Ok, this morning it's clear that she just sat still all night, but she ate a bunch of food and drank all her water and was happy to see me. And she pooped as well, so it's at least good to know that there aren't any blockages! She can move her legs, but it hurts her to do so. For now I'm just trying to move her as little as possible.

Last edited:
Let her float in a warm Bath with Epsom salts, just don't let her drink the water. It helped my duckie so much, I thought she had a broken foot however a few nights of that she was running around and everything she has been without problems since.

Have used metacam for my duck when she had bumble foot for pain relief. It helped her alot. Maybe you can get some for your duckie.

No, there is nothing you can give the duck for pain that you don't have to get from the vet.

Pain meds aren't really that good for injuries in livestock. The pain will keep her off her leg and if you kill the pain then she will walk on it and maybe make the injury worse.

Back
Top Bottom