Duck panting! Help!

bydhatch

Chirping
Jul 23, 2016
NC
I have two week and a half old welsh ducklings.
I have a heat lamp over one end of their brooder and the temp is around 83. It seems someone is almost always panting! At first I thought it was just her but I believe it is him as well. There is no discharge and both are eating/drinking fine.
Could the temp already be too warm?

I would try a lower wattage bulb. If they still pant after that they might be ready for no heat lamp, at least during the day. You can monitor how they do at night, they might still need it then for awhile. Again, if they just pant when it's on even at night, just take it away. You can't really go by set "rules" when it comes to heat and heat lamps with ducklings. You just have to listen to your particular ducklings and assess their behavior. :)

I would try a lower wattage bulb. If they still pant after that they might be ready for no heat lamp, at least during the day. You can monitor how they do at night, they might still need it then for awhile. Again, if they just pant when it's on even at night, just take it away. You can't really go by set "rules" when it comes to heat and heat lamps with ducklings. You just have to listen to your particular ducklings and assess their behavior. :)

It's the same temp inside at night. Does that make a difference?

Back
Top Bottom