Duck Park Rescue - "Gimpy Gary" (update post#24)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

We stopped at the park today to see if the goose pair had any babies, but no luck. I had some food with me in the car so i grabbed it and was feeding the hoards of ducks that gathered around, the poor girls looked like crap from overbreeding, but were very happy about the duck food i had. I could even came up and were eating out of my hands..... there's definitely a few i wouldnt mind bringing home, lol. they're too cute.

While i was feeding the ducks some kids came by and asked if they could too and of course i let them. then i saw this sad little guy come hobbling up and i noticed his leg was kind of turned outward, i figured dislocation until i saw his foot, something definitely grabbed him! his poor foot is pretty mangled, missing a toe, the second one has healed upward and the soft part is kinds ripped up. He was really getting bullied by the other boys & of course i felt bad..

I asked the kids to help me and it only took a minute to catch him. i got a closer look and he's definitely crippled, there's no fixing it now. He cant jump, more hops than walks & i am not sure if he can lift off to fly. I brought him home and he's settled in really well. he has a little run/house to himself for now but i figured after her gains some weight(hes pretty skinny) he can either take care of my mutt girls or find a home with another crippled duck friend.

He LOVES his new house, lol.
    He's a super cute Wild Mallard/Domestic Mix, pretty friendly and now has a name.."Gimpy Gary"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had to put a quick roof on it, just in case. it was only being used for babies before.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  2. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Good on you for saving him! Good luck! [​IMG]

3. love_a_duck

love_a_duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Waterford, Michigan
    [​IMG]

Love the duck saving!
    He looks right at home, Bleenie.
    Thanks for sharing this.

Beth

4. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I think he will love the mixed girls after he get's to move in with them. I wanna get a new pen built for the ducks since I have apparently gone crazy and am keeping other breeds this year, lol.

5. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Yea for you!!!! Hopefully he'll have a good few years with you and yours. [​IMG]

6. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

He looks to still be a 'baby'. he doesn't have his tail curl yet but he does have his raspy voice and he's pretty small compared to the other boys that were there. I am guessing he's around 4 months or something? do they start to get their green head that early?

7. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    hes sure purrty

8. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Bleenie, you're my HERO!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And I agree his foot looks like something attacked him. Possibly a snapping turtle??

Good job hun!

HUGSSSSSSSSSSS

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I would guess snapper. Yikes! Poor guy. GLad he found a new home [​IMG]

10. javajanie

javajanie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Southern MD
    He's so pretty! I love the name.