Duck Pen Blueprint

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Corey NC, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]

This is a rough idea of what I want to do but I have some questions.

Is it a plausible idea for the pipe that runs underground to the creek for cleaning out the pool? So all I would have to do is pull the plug an then hose it out and refill it?

How many sq. feet do ducks need in a run? and in a coop/house?

What other things should I consider when constructing something like this?

Thanks!

2. LV426

LV426 Chillin

Jul 16, 2008
    You'd be better off using the duck water to water your garden or plants rather then running it to the creek. For one Duck poo water is a great fertilizer and for another you may get a citation for polluting the creek if someone spots your drain off.

As for square feet, I think the rule is 5 sq ft per bird although I know some use the 6 sq ft rule.

3. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    It's not really a creek, its more of a ditch that fills with water with heavy rain and it just runs off into the woods. There are no plants any where in that area.

4. LV426

LV426 Chillin

Jul 16, 2008
    Yeah but it's still considered farm runoff which most counties have restrictions on. You really have to be careful of where you dispose of poultry and waterfowl poo. I live in the city with ducks so I use their water for my garden and plants but I have to make sure it doesn't end up in the drainage ditch because I can get fined for it. I also have to have my compost heap 25 feet from my drainage ditch to prevent any contamination in the run off water when it rains.

Sure you might be able to get away with it but if someone notices you can be fined. Just thought I would let you know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by