Duck pen rennovation?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by featherworks, Jul 27, 2010.

1. featherworks

featherworks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    SW Mississippi
    Hello to all. I am new here, but have been reading this forum for a while. BYC is a great site!!! I currently have 10 species of wild type waterfowl in 3 pens. The pens are attached together in an L shape. I am downsizing my ducks to make room for some BLRW! I don't want to build another pen, so I decided to remodel the middle pen which is the angle of the L. I decided on this pen because it is the hardest to drain and clean the pond. The south pen is on the top of the L and the west pen is on the right. The south wall and west wall of the middle pen are shared with the other two pens. My question is: Will I run into any problems with the chickens being so close to the ducks? This pen is 20'x20' with netting on top. Still trying to decide if the coop will be on the inside or the outside of the pen.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Phil

2. laughaha

laughaha Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    I wouldn't think so- my chickens live with geese.........I would actually leave the pond in there for a waterer for the chooks- Mine always drink out of the geese's kiddie pool and have no problems with that.

3. featherworks

featherworks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    SW Mississippi
    Thanks for the input. I think I will remove the pond as it is an above ground pond that is 8'x8' and 16" deep. That is 64 sq ft of room that is gonna be used for the run. The ducks are getting moved out next week so the rennovation can begain.

Phil

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by