Duck Pen - Would Love Advice

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mommto3kiddos, Mar 12, 2011.

1. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    My husband and I are trying to decide/design our Duck pen. We have a 6'x6' Chain link dog kennel we plan to use. We are going to put chicken fencing on top & cover half for shade! We also have an inground "koi pond" we were given we would like to use. Now here is were I need some help..lol (oh a hubby is building a duck house to go inside)

I was thinking of puting rocks around the pond (its a liner kind, not hard shell) Im trying to think of less muddy ideas and was thinking - pond, rocks around, then maybe some mulch?!?! Then the rest be grass around the house..

What are some good ideas for cutting down on the mud making..lol

Also I know I will have to clean the pond regularly, so does anyone have a liner inground pond and if so is it a PITA to clean???

Thanks.. Oh and the home is for these two [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine isnt a liner but I have very little mess..( 4 call ducks ). I put down sand and then pea gravel.. the big rocks around the pond and grass on the other side... i did show how I drain the rinse and refill... not sure how youd do it with a liner... also , the sand is also used for grit. [​IMG] this winter i layed straw thru-out for warmth...

ohh very very cute babies !!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  3. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Oh I LOVE it!!! Thats kinda what I want.. Might need to invest in an above the ground tub..lol And I never thought about sand - great idea Thanks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by