duck pens and homes

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by scrapmom5, Apr 27, 2008.

1. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    I was about to move my runner and pekin outside to the hen house and decided that I didn't want the duck mess muckin up the hens. What type of a shelter should I make for two ducks? I plan on a shelter a run. I will let them run loose once in a while to frolic in the three ponds but would like to keep them happy while contained in their outdoor pen. How big should it be? Would a duck be smart enough to swim under a submerged fence to run free and return doing the same to the safety of its home? Would a racoon try the same thing to get to the ducks? What do you use on the pen floor to keep it clean? Are their any other items I should know?

2. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    Can anybody help me?????? Pleeeeease?

3. Zack717

Zack717 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2008
    Well I'm pretty new to the duck world but I'll tell you what I did. I found someone that was giving away a dog run that was 10' x 14'. Once I set it up I put wire fencing on the roof so nothing could get in during the night. In addition to the pen I built a 3' x 2' "house" so they could be sheltered. Hope this helps.

4. Zack717

Zack717 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2008
    Well I'm pretty new to the duck world but I'll tell you what I did. I found someone that was giving away a dog run that was 10' x 14'. Once I set it up I put wire fencing on the roof so nothing could get in during the night. In addition to the pen I built a 3' x 2' "house" so they could be sheltered. Hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by