duck pens/house/pool setups??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jackrooster, Jun 23, 2010.

1. jackrooster

jackrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    Can i see how you guys set up your duck pens?? House runs how big you pens are if they have a top on and ect. I am haveing a duck pen built and i want to know how to really do it and how to sel up the inside sooooo that it dosent get soo messy!

2. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

I just finished mine the end of May. They do get to come out for about an hour or so a
    day (before and after work longer on weekends) to roam and fly around..
    ..but they dont use the duck hut yet... even in a storm.. they go in once in awhile
    for a short time and thats it.. lol they spend 90% of their time in the pond..[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

All I have to say is WOW! Lucky Ducks!

4. VelvetDragon

VelvetDragon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2010
    Portland Metro Area, OR
    That's lovely. Is the substrate among the boulders gravel?

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    That is absolutely gorgeous....What a nicely designed- functional and attractive looking pen. Well done Hattiegun... How often do you use the chair in there...If I had a set up ike that...I would be very tempted to retire early.... what a great way to spend a day!

6. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    What a great set up! I am so jealous. I'm going to have to show my husband. And please do tell what substrate you used--I need to add something to mine to keep the pen dry and the smell down.

7. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

its pea gravel / some sand.... on the one side of the pen, I put down washed /cleaned
    sand with pea gravel over the top and I can just hose it down.. but so far , they stay in
    the pond sooo much I hardly have ANY poo to clean... I drain the pond every couple days
    cuz its been hot out and they LOVE clean water.....its super easy. I have a tube drain in
    the bottom on the left.. I pop the drain and it only takes like 5 min to drain.. I hose it down
    and use the water pump on the right of the tub and fill it back up 15 min or so. I love the
    pond cuz it has ledges I throw treats on and they can stand on them and preen without getting
    completely out of the pond.I fill it a couple inches over the ledge........got it at Menards
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

called the Key Largo.

8. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Wow, that is a gorgeous set-up. i have two little ducks that i need to build a pen for. They have outgrown the plastic oil change pan i was using as a pond. [​IMG]

9. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Here is the coop that was built for my runner ducks. It's still a work in progress. I am lucky, my BIL built the coop but I created the pen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For some reason I couldn't post this picture any bigger. Click on it and it may enlarge.

10. T Hi

T Hi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Bonney Lake, WA
    Here is our Walduck Astoria Hotel! '[​IMG]' I have runners so they don't need it very tall. ( they dont fly) My darlings get to range outside almost everyday so this is just their penthouse suite to relax in. I also have a shallow horse trough in it for a pool (not in the picture). A sump pump empties it quick and I use the water to feed the garden and lawn! Good Luck!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by