Duck pens?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckluv, Aug 22, 2010.

1. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    I'm planing on getting about 3-4 Muskovys or Welsh Harlequins. I'm planing to free range them in the day. how large would a pen have to be to keep them in at night? Any help apreciated. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  2. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I have 3 mallards comfortable in a portable dog pen on a stall mat with straw as bedding. The pens are the kind that are foldable, open ended and 30 inches tall. You can get them at Petsmart, etc. If you need more room, two of these pens attach together.

3. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    Thanks!

4. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I calculate it like this. 1-1.5 sqft per duck for the night duck house. Twice as much for the immediate pen for those times they have to be penned up, but not locked into a house. I have 9 ducks and their night duck house is 10x10 feet. Plenty of space to sleep, have nesting boxes, and a food/water station. Outside pen it is 10x20. Then we have the outside free range area with kiddie pools, which is about an acre, also fenced in. After that we have the backyard of our house, which is about another acre. He we allow them to be for 2 hours in the evening. They use that time to eat the weeds and bugs. Plus they can walk from there into their pen and duck house, which they do all by themselves each night and we only close the door to the duck house for the night. Beyond that we have a meadow and rest of the property, which is another 20 acres. The stream has dried up in it very early this year, so they are currently not allowed to go there.
    [​IMG]

5. baggsb22

baggsb22 New Egg

Aug 22, 2010
    Quote:They need about two square feet per bird.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by