Duck picking feathers off breast of other duck...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by countrygirl74, Feb 16, 2013.

1. countrygirl74

countrygirl74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2012
    Northern Arizona
    I have 4 ducks, 2 female Pekins, 1 female Rouen, and 1 Rouen drake.They are all about 4 1/2 months old. For some reason, when they all go swimming, the Rouen female constantly picks out the feathers from my Jumbo Pekin girl's breast. The weird thing is that the Pekin doesn't even try to stop her. I wouldn't be concerned except that I am starting to see it looking a little bare there now. Why is she doing this just to the one, and why doesn't the other one fight back or at least protest? Any ideas?? I only notice that she does it when they swim and other than that, they all seem to get along fine. Like I said, I didn't really give it much thought until I noticed that it was starting to look like a bare area there.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They are becoming sexually mature and this is just some of the things they can do. Mounting is another have you noticed this at all? . maybe try something like Blue Kote but be careful when using it it will stain your Pekin purple and anything else it touches, but it maybe enough of a distraction to break this habit that has started. I have used it when one of my hens was getting her bottom pecked. and it worked. you can buy it at TSC

3. countrygirl74

Oct 19, 2012
    Northern Arizona
    So, the females will pick on each other like that as they are maturing? The only mounting I've seen is a couple attempts by the drake to the female that is doing the feather grabbing - nothing successful yet that I could tell. Will the females act out mounting as well as part of their maturation process?

I do have some Blue Kote, so I will use it if it gets worse. She still has feathers there, just not as fluffy as before.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Yes the girls will still mount. and if your drake has been singling out this one female she may just be feeling like the dominate duck right now. Looks whats going on at my house today [​IMG]
    I was going to let them work it out but the one duck would not quit so i broke it up. That time of year. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  5. countrygirl74

Oct 19, 2012
    Northern Arizona
    Thanks so much for the info!!

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

7. countrygirl74

Oct 19, 2012
    Northern Arizona
    Well, ended up having to use the BluKote - she ended up with not only a bare spot, but a small wound on her skin as well. And, for a little while, I've banned the Rouen from swimming with my Pekin "Ping". I'm not sure why she doesn't fight back - she just floats and lets her continue to rip out feathers. My other Pekin won't let her do that. So, for now, Ping has a purple bra. [​IMG]

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] I bet she looks adorable in purple. I have a few that are passive like that too, crazy girls.

9. wyoming wonder

wyoming wonder Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    I have a mallard drake he likes tearing out my female ducks feathers the longer ones and my hens feathers that are on their backs, i am wondering why he is doing this for the last three weeks, i had to seperate the two ducks and the three hens into seperate areas since the ducks and chickens grew up together.
    what do i do to stop him, first it was the hens and when i seperated the two ducks he goes now after my female duck tearing out her longer feathers, its not molting season yet i do know this.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] Is he just randomly walking up and doing this or is he mating and doing this? is he being aggressive to just one duck? and keeping him away from your hens is a good idea some drakes will try to mate with hens and they are not made to mate. Different setup entirely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by