Duck picking on chicken - pics included

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by raebow92, Nov 26, 2013.

1. raebow92

raebow92 New Egg

Nov 26, 2013
    Yesterday morning I noticed a huge clump of red feathers and panicked because I've had predators come into my yard and kill 3 of my birds this summer. I looked over to where all of my birds were and saw the chicken the feathers came from (I only have 1 red chicken). She was eating with the other birds no problem. She looks just fine, crouched down to drink some water. That's what I thought anyway until I walked up to her and she stretched her neck out. Totally bare. She looks like someone just took a huge bite out of her.

My boyfriend thinks it's our duck. He is very rough and is often seen chasing the chickens and nipping at them but I've never seen something like this happen!

I browsed through this Injuries and Cures topic and saw people giving reasons why the bird could have lost her feathers or what to do about it but no one really said what you can do to help the injured bird.

I did see on hobbyfarms.com that you can use tree pruning sealer. Here's what it said:

If the skin isn’t broken and you aren’t too upset by the feather loss, you can just let it go. If the skin is damaged or you want the pecking to stop, tree-pruning sealer works great. It acts as a second skin while the feathers grow back and the skin heals. It’s cheap and can be found at any garden center or hardware store. Because the tissue under the skin or damaged skin is moist, you might have to layer it on pretty heavily. It will stain your skin and your clothing, so wear old clothes. The other benefit is that the sealer is black, and chickens aren’t attracted to black. But if a chicken does peck, the sealer will stain its beak, and you’ll find the aggressor in your coop.

I want to put something around her neck, like a shield or chicken scarf, if you will. It's not too cold yet but it is windy and I don't want her to have to stay in the coop all day to keep her neck warm. Do you think I could cut off a sleeve from an old t-shirt and slip it over her head and onto her neck? I heard black is a non aggressive color, or something like that.

Thoughts and opinions would certainly help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. forgetful

forgetful Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2013
    I couldn't tell from the picture, but is the skin broken? I wouldn't worry about the cold or anything. She'll be fine if it's just feathers missing. If the skin is broken I would definitely cover with something. Otherwise I'd just let it grow out.

3. raebow92

raebow92 New Egg

Nov 26, 2013
    I haven't gotten close enough to see, she's pretty skiddish! But yesterday, there was a lot of blood around so I would assume that her skin was broken. No blood today though.

4. forgetful

forgetful Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2013
    I would just keep an eye on her then. Chickens heal very quickly. As long as the wound isn't getting aggravated by others, it will heal fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by