Duck Pond Depth

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rawketstarling, Aug 6, 2013.

1. rawketstarling

rawketstarling New Egg

Jul 23, 2013
    I'm trying to figure out how deep of a stock tank/pool to buy for my ducks. I heard to get a shallow one so they can get in and out, but I wanted them to be able to swim, not just run around in a kiddie pool. They are separated from the chickens, so I'm not worried about chickens drowning. If I get a tub approximately 3 feet deep will they be able to get in and out? I can always make a ramp, but I wasn't sure how necessary a deeper pool was. Any experience?

2. kattz68

kattz68 New Egg

Apr 6, 2013
    Mine are in a big kiddie pool they do fine and easy to clean they muck it up in just a day or two. My chickens are separated never had one drown. Mine is deep enough they can paddle their feet without scraping bottom.

3. kattz68

kattz68 New Egg

Apr 6, 2013
    I meant to say not separated

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I bought a 100 gallon stock tank first, too deep so we cut in in half and made it 50 gallon, but it wasn't big enough so I just bought the largest kiddy pool I could find and they love it they swim under water and it's deep enough when full that my ducks can't stand up in it so plenty deep enough for diving and swimming. it's about 100 gallons. and we cut tree stumps for them to jump onto to get into the pool, they don't have a problem getting out, I keep this one far away from ducklings when young, they get cement mixing tubs and cat litter pans. We did make a ramp for the stock tank when we used it but one of my ducks jump from top and injured his leg so another reason I decided on kiddy pool.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by