Duck pond filter?

Emily77

Chirping
Mar 28, 2018
Southwest Washington state
My Coop
My Coop
Hi!
New to ducks, the 3 ducklings I have are my first ever. They’re 3.5 weeks old, 1 buff Orpington and 2 chocolate runners.
I started giving them “pool parties” in the bathtub recently, in water deep enough for them to swim and submerge completely if they want, but also shallow enough they could stand up if they get tired.
Wow can they filthy up some water in a hurry!
I just built them a tiny pond in an add-on wing to the current outdoor chicken run. The pond is about 5x5’, 2’ deep, cube-shaped with a ledge at maybe 6” below the surface (making it maybe 4x4’ from there down.) Holds an estimated 350 gallons of water.
It’s just a hole I dug in the dirt with some pond liner in it. I’ve been to my local pond shop, the guy was super helpful, but he was admittedly not an expert about tiny duck ponds.
What kind of filter should I get? I’m not rich!
I’ve got some plants in there, open to more. Currently 8 water hyacinths, a couple of sedgy grasses.
Anyway. Any pointers on small pond filters would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 41F123C5-264E-4266-BEB3-D2D7002E5684.jpeg
    41F123C5-264E-4266-BEB3-D2D7002E5684.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 246
  • 9CABB15A-83A4-4FE1-8C79-9A0A94B6279A.jpeg
    9CABB15A-83A4-4FE1-8C79-9A0A94B6279A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Hi!
New to ducks, the 3 ducklings I have are my first ever. They’re 3.5 weeks old, 1 buff Orpington and 2 chocolate runners.
I started giving them “pool parties” in the bathtub recently, in water deep enough for them to swim and submerge completely if they want, but also shallow enough they could stand up if they get tired.
Wow can they filthy up some water in a hurry!
I just built them a tiny pond in an add-on wing to the current outdoor chicken run. The pond is about 5x5’, 2’ deep, cube-shaped with a ledge at maybe 6” below the surface (making it maybe 4x4’ from there down.) Holds an estimated 350 gallons of water.
It’s just a hole I dug in the dirt with some pond liner in it. I’ve been to my local pond shop, the guy was super helpful, but he was admittedly not an expert about tiny duck ponds.
What kind of filter should I get? I’m not rich!
I’ve got some plants in there, open to more. CUrrently 8 water hyacinths, a couple of sedgy grasses we *
That will be very dirty in about two or three days. If the ducks don’t eat all the plants they will help with the natural biological levels but your ducks will fill it with dirt feed and a lot of poop. I myself am working on a natural filter system for my pond. If you search for “duck pond filters” in the duck thread and diy threads you will get some good ideas also.

Pretty duck pond! I am curious to see what you come up with to use as a filter...currently researching myself. My pool is about 90 gallons and it worked great for 2 ducks but now have 4 and it gets dirty so fast.

:frowI only have 1 drake and 1 duck that are 7 weeks old, but I'm having success with this product I got from Amazon by Patriot. Pond Pump & Filtration System Includes Mechanical, Biological Filters, 9 Watt UV Clarifier, Plus Fountain Nozzle. It has a 3 way filter system plus a UV light that kills bacteria. I also added some API POND-ZYME SLUDGE DESTROYER Pond Water Cleaner With Barley that when used as directed (meaning just a little bit) breaks down all the muck so the filter can do it's job and is not toxic to the ducks. I also add just a dash of ACV. I still empty the water completely and start over once a week just because it feels cleaner ;) - and it's easy to do by leaving the pump in and pointing the fountain nozzle outside of the pool. The ducks also love playing under the fountain part which can be changed to different settings. I don't have any plants b/c I technically don't have a pond - I'm just using a stock tank that is 6' long x 2' wide x 1' deep. Good luck - and if you find anything that works better please let me know! I"m new to this also and always looking for pointers!!!

:frowI only have 1 drake and 1 duck that are 7 weeks old, but I'm having success with this product I got from Amazon by Patriot. Pond Pump & Filtration System Includes Mechanical, Biological Filters, 9 Watt UV Clarifier, Plus Fountain Nozzle. It has a 3 way filter system plus a UV light that kills bacteria. I also added some API POND-ZYME SLUDGE DESTROYER Pond Water Cleaner With Barley that when used as directed (meaning just a little bit) breaks down all the muck so the filter can do it's job and is not toxic to the ducks. I also add just a dash of ACV. I still empty the water completely and start over once a week just because it feels cleaner ;) - and it's easy to do by leaving the pump in and pointing the fountain nozzle outside of the pool. The ducks also love playing under the fountain part which can be changed to different settings. I don't have any plants b/c I technically don't have a pond - I'm just using a stock tank that is 6' long x 2' wide x 1' deep. Good luck - and if you find anything that works better please let me know! I"m new to this also and always looking for pointers!!!
Checking this out now, I like that you can use the fountain nozzle to drain the water out of the pool. The pool I have now takes forever to drain.
Two of my runners are currently molting, feathers everywhere and keeping their pool clean is such a chore. They are just so darn cute/happy when the pool is refilled, lots of splashing and diving.

I have a 220 gallon pool with a Skippy bio-filter that we made (with the kit) for my 8 ducks. It seems to work fine, but it did turn green through the heat of the summer, so this year I plan to add a second bog filter to it to eat up the nutrients. The trouble is finding a pump that won't clog in a months time. As far a feathers, I just bought a pool net and I can scoop out feathers and leaves with it just fine. Every couple weeks I might pump it out and start fresh, but my goal is to have enough filtration that I don't have to do it more than once a month or so.

This was last summer, but now it's all mud. I have to do some major renovations to it this spring. Also going to change out the rocks around it.
_VAJ3813.png

Other than plants, how do you keep the urine from concentrating in the pool? Does anyone put sweet PDZ in a bag in the water?

Back
Top Bottom